Photo

What PHD settings for an AP Mach1 GTO mount?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

I've replaced my old LXD75 with a Mach1. Clearly it is a very different beast and PHD settings that worked with the LXD75 are unlikely to be optimal for the Mach1. I'm wondering what PHD settings and duration are optimal to use with the Mach1? Mind sharing the settings you use? Also basic guider info such as type of camera and focal length of your guide scope would be useful for comparison.
...Keith

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

I may be way off base here, but PHD setting are more so dependent on f ratios and focal length of the scopes you're using than the type of mount.

I've used PHD with a CGE and an MI250 and used it successfully with the default settings. Similar guide scopes for both mounts; a Megrez 90 and a TMB80SS. Two second capture, calibrate and off it goes. One guiding a 12" LX200, the other a C14. Or is there something I'm missing? :grin:

David

#3 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

It was a struggle to guide my LXD75. Generally I guided with 1 sec exposures, and couldn't push it much beyond that without getting too much movement, but at 1 sec you are more often than not chasing the seeing. Playing with the aggressiveness and hysteresis settings seemed to help reduce the aggressive jumps of the LXD75. My thinking was that with the Mach1 the error is so much less and smoother I should be able to guide at 5 sec or more intervals and be less susceptible to poor seeing. Also I was wondering if people tweaked the aggressiveness and/or hysteresis settings with a much smoother/low PE mount? I guide with a DSIpro and a ZenithStar 66SD. Am I on the right track or just stick with the defaults?
...Keith

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics