His and Hers M68 and M83

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

During a recent May night we had a wonderful time sketching these two objects. With different paper, different steps of developing the objects, and different emphasis in our observations, it became a lesson we learned again. To see the sketches and the story, go to the Inspiration page by hitting the button on the ministry site (address below). The story is at the top with a link to the page and the three sketches with story.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Linda and Roland,

Two sets of beautiful sketches.
It is really impressive that you do this together and so well at that. Just keep going I really enjoy the sketches and lessons.
:bow: :bow:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

Roland and Linda,

I would like to congratulate you both on a wonderful and well executed series of observations. Working together you have produced a pair of impressive observations of a globular cluster (M68) and a barred spiral galaxy (M83) in Hydra. You both obviously inspired each other to produce truly outstanding observations. Thank you both for sharing them with us all.

I too was inspired by your wonderful observations to process them a little and put them side by side. I inverted Roland's observations and then adjusted the levels on all of the observations. I hope that you like them.

Carlos

Attached Files

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Roland and Linda,

Here is the comparison of your fine M83 observations. I hope that you like it.

Carlos

Attached Files

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Rolans
Impressive sketches as always. But why don't you post them directly on CN? I must admit that I'm mostly to lazy to go to your website... :sleepy:

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Sorry, we won't do that. CN disallows any mention of God, scripture, or creation...all three are part of what we do and who we are. So I will announce things but not post them here.

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

Thank you Frank and Carlos for your kind words. Carlos, I appreciate you enthusiasm about our sketching. It was a very good night to give thanks.

#8 ladip63

ladip63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: the dark skies of Texas

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

Linda and Roland.
WOW!! great set of sketches. Keep up the good work. :goodjob: to the both of you. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see more.

#9 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Lynn, it was a great time together. I can still see the barred galaxy in my head.

#10 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Roland and Linda,

Great stuff there. Low your inspiration and the sketches of these magnificence objects. I really enjoyed the fact that you touch on how two people can view the same object and come up with different sketches. I guess some things are common, but the view is dependent on the observer. Thinking heart-fully of both of you daily.

#11 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Jay. Glad you enjoyed it. One thing we discovered that was a surprise when we sketch together: we see colors differently (not just the structure of the object). When using astro video and sketching some of the popular objects, we made the discovery. I guess it should not be surprise since sketching is really interpretting an object, so whether the variables are star field, stellar cloud, object structure, or whatever, each of us sees it a bit different or notices and provides more emphasis on one thing rather than the other. For purists that think the perfect sketch of an object should always come out the same, they forget that even the strictest observers in any field rarely agree completely on anything written. A sketch is really no different. Nevertheless, we have great fun seeing how we catch different things, and go back to look at what we did often. It was a great night.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics