•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tiny Mars 04/06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

after unsuccesfully trying to see detail on venus i turned to mars in twilight (22:30 local time) for what will be my last Mars sketch this season, very likely.

facing the interesting side with the 'dark' markings of syrtis major has become a whole challenge for me, even using 12" aperture and reasonably good seeing :shocked:!

the remnant of the pole cap is still first recognized, then a little collar around it, and then the dark region above it. syrtis major only comes in last, and actually pretty doubtfull. i think i managed quite good to reproduce the 'faintness' of it all on my monitor, i hope it shows up good at other screens too.

when is Jupiter at opposition? :grin:

Posted Image

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Kris,

An excellent observation of Mars. You have been very dedicated observing Mars to such a small apparent diameter. I applaud you and other observers on the forum that continue to observe the red planet. Thank you for this and all other impressive Mars observations. I adjusted your fine observation a little and posted it below. I hope that you like it.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

Kris,

Great sketch. :bow:Very challenging to see much now unless the air is steady and your looking before dark in a transparent sky.
It really has been fun viewing Mars this time around.

Frank :)

#4 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:03 PM

Kris,

Amazing, as usual.

#5 dweller25

dweller25

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:25 AM

Well done Kris.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Cosmos

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

Kris,

Congratulations on this latest Mars drawing--you (and Frank) have a fine body of work for this apparition. I understand how difficult it is to eke out detail on such a small disk, but I'm not sure I quite believe you when you say this is your last one. :grin:

#7 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

thanks everyone, and Carlos for all the clean-up and labeling work you do for us! i like your version, it's more colourfull.

#8 rerun

rerun

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hallo Kris,

great sketch :bow: :bow: :bow: So many fine details on this little Mars.I like this sketch very much.

CS

Markus

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics