• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hi,

i've read using a blue filter can help, is #80A light blue gonna work? i couldn't see anything on venus yesterday and seeing wasn't that bad. i've seen something on venus in the past, but that was with my 8" scope? is 12" overkill for the bright venus? i also tried a neutral density filter, blue + green stacked, and red filters... is it best to use great powers or rather low?

thanks!

#2 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Take a look at the bottom of this page ....

http://www.lumicon.c...erspec_prnt.htm

#3 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:43 AM

thanks!

i might get myself a #47 violet and/or #38A deep blue.
does anyone have any specific good results on venus with one of these two filters?

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

Kris,

The Wratten 38 (Deep Blue) and 47 (Violet) filters will be useful for Venus. These filters should enhance the features over the upper atmosphere of Venus. It would also be useful to obtain a Wratten 23A (light red) or 25 (Red) filter in order to penetrate haze in our own atmosphere as well as the Venusian atmosphere (the red filter will increase the sky background and contrast if observing Venus in the daytime). A Neutral Density filter (e.g. 13-50% transmission) may also be useful to reduce the glare of Venus. Although I have not tried it yet a Baader Moon and Skyglow filter may also be useful on Venus as it transmits both blue and red wavelengths. The real trick to observing Venus is to observe it as high above the horizon as possible (less haze to look through). The best of luck observing the Goddess of Love.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics