Vintage Tasco 9F

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shoeleprich

shoeleprich

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maine: Land of the frozen

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

I received an old dirty Tasco 9F yesterday from a friend. I thought I would clean it up and test it out. It has 60mm aperture and 800mm FL. The 10X finder is interestingly built into the scope. You flip a mirror to access the finder. It came with all .965" EPs and equipment. There was a 23mm and a 4mm for EPs (too big of a difference in magnification IMO). It came with a Tasco 2X barlow and a 6mm-18mm zoom EP. It also came with a .965"-1.25" converter. It also has a small dew shield. I cleaned the optics with a lens cloth and aligned the finder. I also rebuilt the tripod, which was made of pot metal. It has not been used in a while and was poorly taken care of so I'm not expecting much. I'm not going to judge the telescope by its brand, but I have heard things...they say the old tascos were good...this one certainly is old. I could find next to no information about it on Google, save a few ads. I star-tested it last night and tried Saturn. I need some advice on judging it and possibly on cleaning it further. Seeing was good last night in my favor.

So I took it out last night. My .965"-1.25" converter does not work, as the focal length does not agree. When I put my 25mm MA in the converter, I moved the focuser all the way in and it was close to being focused. Any shorter focal length EP, and it would not focus. The zoom EP works. It gave a bit of a halo around a star, but that could have been from the humidity. The tasco barlow is a long one, and does not focus with any EP. I did a star test and got diffraction rings around Arcturus at 200X. Both EPs work to acceptable quality. .965" EPs have a surprisingly small FOV. Saturn at 200X was nice. I was able to focus the planet clearly, but no surface detail was seen. Transparency was above average for last night, so I think the aperture limits it. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. I think I will enjoy this.

#2 shoeleprich

shoeleprich

Mariner 2

• Loc: Maine: Land of the frozen

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Here are links to pictures in my gallery of this scope
http://www.cloudynig...rt=1&thecat=500

#3 TexomaAU.Obs.

TexomaAU.Obs.

• -----
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

Steve, nice old Tasco 9F you got there, looks to be an early '90s model.
I myself have an older Tasco 13T(circa '78-79), and I had similar troubles with the focuser when trading out the .965" for today's standard 1.25" eyepieces using a .965 to1.25 adapter... I remedied this inadequacy of focal travel inwardly by adding the Meade Shorty 2x Barlow... This help tremendously when I use my home modified web cams and the Meade CMOS usb cam , too. as I now can travel inwardly more.
~I will add a pic or two here once I get them loaded on a server.~

My 13T , also has a similar flip mirror finder. I have found that these hard installed flips are really nice as they need only minor adjustments over time and will not move out of alignment like the ones you see mostly on the raised bracket mounts if hit. I have even considered finding another scope to scrap the finder out and install it on a bigger scope one day.. the only drawback is the light the finder transmits to the eye, it is dull and hard see to zero the cross hairs on even a bright star, such as Betelgeuse in Orion,but this is minor as to the overall performance of the Tascos of old. They where made well back in the day and it would be nice to see them overhaul their now crummy line and go back to making those quality telescopes that we old Tasco owners know and love....

#4 thewus

thewus

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

I have a Tasco 9F without the eyepieces, do you mind to let me know what is/are the models of EP so I can get it back to work?

thanks,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics