Lessons studying Copernicus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

I had some fairly poor nights recently when Copernicus was near the terminator. Feature contrast was good but the detail was not observable. Nevertheless, as I reviewed the last three times I have had the pleasure of sketching the crater, the wonder of its features impressed me with a story. The sketches and story can be seen by going to the 'Whole Story' link on the Inspiration page of the site listed below my signature.

I also tried false color again, which I find interesting. I used shades of blue as a substitute for shades of grey on one of the sketches.

The three sketches were done at widely varying times (day, dusk, and night) and instruments. Detail is missing that has been so appropriately included in sketches by CN members who do much better than me, but it was still a real pleasure to observe. I remember all three observing periods.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Roland,

Beautiful sketching and inspiring words.
Although you say you didn't see a lot of detail you have beautifully captured the essence of Copernicus crater at 3 different times - all beautifully done. :bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

Roland,

Excellent observations of Copernicus. This prominent crater on the Moon presents interesting views for us all. Your words are very inspirational. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

Many thanks, Carlos and Frank.

In the last week (on a mini-stacation and vacation) I have spent some time with J. Huerkamp and J Turner at our home or the video astronomy get- together in Luray VA. As a result, I had opportunity to sketch NGC 4627 (the Whale and her Pup), 4656 (The Hockey Stick), the "green" Comet C/2009 K5, and 7023 (The Iris Neb) on either 17.5 or 14 inch scopes (not mine). It was a real treat to see that well and get structure with the video astro tools. Will try to get them posted with a pertinent story in a couple weeks when the moon is high and bright.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics