• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sejanus

sejanus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

Not sure if anyone will know this. I just ordered a g11 with gemini, though it won't be here for a good 8-10 weeks.

Theres a program called alignmaster that some eq6 guys use l

http://www.alignmaster.de/

It's from what I understand a software equivalent of the all star polar align feature on the celestron mounts.

Anyone know if it would work on the g11?

Polar aligning in my backyard is a huge pain so any help is good!

cheers

Gav

#2 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

Hello Gav,
Well.., looks like there's an AlignMaster Forum around, why not check their site, and maybe ask your question there as well?

Hope that helps..,

Regards,

skybsd

#3 ZRX-Steve

ZRX-Steve

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Sejanus:

Here's a thread with some folks using alignmaster with a G11 successfully. Link

#4 urbanMark

urbanMark

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:39 AM

doesn't the Gemini software have a feature similar to this built in? It is slightly different in that you first have to build a model using a few "additional align" by pointing to a few stars, but then you use the "polar axis corr" command to re-center the star using the alt/az polar adjustments. It doesn't seem like this software would be much (if any) faster than the built in Gemini features. Is it perhaps more accurate?

#5 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

Not sure if anyone will know this. I just ordered a g11 with gemini, though it won't be here for a good 8-10 weeks.

Theres a program called alignmaster that some eq6 guys use l

http://www.alignmaster.de/

It's from what I understand a software equivalent of the all star polar align feature on the celestron mounts.

Anyone know if it would work on the g11?

Polar aligning in my backyard is a huge pain so any help is good!

cheers

Gav

The celestron system is actually a simplification of the Gemini system. There are various mount modeling systems out there. another one is in software bisque.

With mount modeling you don't really *need* to use the mount to polar align *unless* you want to do very long exposure astrophotography. The G11 will, once it knows where stars are, compensate for pointing error due to polar misalignment.

Moreover, it can also compensate for tracking error. If you're doing ten minute subs this is probably all you need. If you're doing long exposures you might want to improve polar alignment in order to eliminate field rotation. But field rotation is very minimal in a scope which is, say, ten to fifteen arc minutes away from true polar alignment.

regards
Greg N

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics