#1 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:36 AM

KIDDING!!! :lol:

I know..not very nice...

But I had to show off my new(to me) Atlas..
It was pretty worn down looking..all knobs had lost paint..
AND, I got a GREAT deal on it!!
And during first light last week I noticed that the DEC axis was EXTREMELY difficult to turn by hand(and yes,clutches were disengaged.. :D ).and the RA felt a bit stiff.
Well, I bought it from someone who HyperTuned it. So, I thought that perhaps something was put back together wrong..
SO, I did what any sane :thinking: man/woman would do on a cloudy night(couple of days and nights actually), I rebuilt it with better grease, and decided I liked the look of the SkyWatched version better..IMHO though, they all try and copy the best,AP.
So, that is what I did...tried to make my Atlas at least LOOK like an AP**since I will be in my 50s(27now) before I can get an AP1200**

After painting and reassembly with SuperLube(had white lithium before..) in all gears and moving parts,etc...I am EXTREMELY happy with it.
Loosen the clutch knobs and it just glides around like a hot knife in butter...
Made sure to do several revolutions of both axis' so the grease would spread evenly.

Anyways..I measured PE before this mod, it was~11" PTP..I am hoping to get a bit better now...

Anyways...on with the pics..

Cheers!!

Attached Files

#2 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

Another

Attached Files

#3 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

And another

Attached Files

#4 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:38 AM

And one of production... :D

Attached Files

#5 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

My wife is gonna kill me if she sees pics of my trashed work benches in the garage online!!! :lol:

#6 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

You did an incredible job on that! Nice work, well worth the effort.
BTW, that looks like one of the Losmandy saddle to EQ6 adapters that I made years ago.

#7 Asimov

Asimov

Skylab

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

That has come up real nice! Great work.

#8 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:51 AM

Thanks guys!

Kerry,it could be...I was wondering where it came from as I havent found a similar one yet..it looked VERY well made..
So,if it is yours,THANKS! :D
I do not like the saddle though...I may see if Casady has one that will fit....the single knob style where you have to slide the DT into the saddle..AGH! no thanks. I like the tip-in saddle type with dual knobs....

That will be next.well,after my pier adapter is finished..

Cheers!!!

#9 Asimov

Asimov

Skylab

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:18 AM

Hey, you have me wanting to paint mine now! - I'm thinking candy apple red - It'll GOTO a lot faster! :lol:

#10 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

Nice! Can't wait to see the stats on it when you get it running and calibrated.

#11 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:35 AM

...and, white paint as you know adds 50 horsepower.
:lol:

#12 WOBentley

WOBentley

Deep Sky Denizen

• Moderators
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest USA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

...and, white paint as you know adds 50 horsepower.
:lol:

But Red adds 100 :lol:
Seriously...great job, that looks great!

#13 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

:funny::roflmao:
You guys are killing me!!!
Seriously...candy apple red!!! LOL
Now all it needs is a racing stripe...and a spoiler..one of those massive ones you see on the back of a 4cyl Honda that sounds like it is a weedwacker..LOL
(no offense to honda owners..I'm a nissan guy myself.. :D )

Thanks for the kind words too!!
It only took about 3 good coats of primer,ten coats of gloss white,and 20 or so of clear...but it looks much better than when I got it..just wish I would have taken some better before shots... :tonofbricks:

Attached Files

#14 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Brent:

Is the PA scope cover (back end) plastic or metal? If it's plastic, did it take the paint well?
Always preferred that mount in white... :waytogo:

#15 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Hey Joe!
Thanks!!

It is plastic. the only plastic part on the mount(except for a couple bushings,and the polar scope..).
I used regular ol' Rust-O-leum flat white primer,gloss white,and clear coat..it actually is a bit brighter gloss on the plastic than the aluminum..not sure if it will hold as long,or wear faster with the plastic..
That is why I made sure to put many coats of each level on..will help its wearability...hopefully..

Thought about doing it the right way with my air compressor and a gravity fed device..but, that would have easily cost me a couple hundred bucks for the gear..(CFO said no to the tools...never bring your wife to Home Depot or Lowes..all the fun,sucked right out of it...LOL)
I only spent $25 on spray paint...figured it was the best way to go..only did it because I had a bit left in the budget since the mount was only $820 shipped!!! I still cant believe it...it is a solid mount for under $1k...shoot,for full resale price it is a great, solid mount!!!

I should have some clear skies in the next week and will be able to test the PE and post my results!
Cant wait to start snapping some photons!

#16 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

Kerry,it could be...I was wondering where it came from as I havent found a similar one yet..it looked VERY well made..
So,if it is yours,THANKS!

:waytogo:

Though it is a pain to not have a tip in saddle, I personally like the fact that I know it won't accidentally come out when I'm making adjustments for ota balance.

Make sure to let us know how the mount performs. :)

#17 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Beautiful job Brent! Looks great. Hope all those coats of paint and clear last the lifetime of the mount. I'd be proud to own an Atlas dressed up like that ... real eye candy. :bow: :goodjob:

and oh, BTW, that kiddie pool in the background IS for the dogs, right? :roflmao:

#18 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

I personally like the fact that I know it won't accidentally come out when I'm making adjustments for ota balance.

^^^Yeah, that is a concern...I have always had the habit of moving the setup so it's pointed north,making the adjustment.. then swing back to either side and re-check balance..
Plus,I think everything Casady makes is high quality.
If only Anthony Davoli would make SS CW's...he would have a monopoly IMHO!!!
Actually,that reminds me that I need a top rail for my new M10"SCT....
:foreheadslap:

Thanks George!!!
I am actually gonna touch-up some spots that got a little dinged up when the clutch knobs pressed into/sratched away the paint when turning the axis' manually..after more careful re-adjustments to the clutch handles,no more scratching...

I hope it lasts a while too...

I am finishing the 2x11# CW's right now...I just couldnt leave them dark...

I need to get some SS weights made...might buy some stock SS on Ebay(or locally) and have it cut and machined locally...might be able to save a couple $ that way..
The M10" needs ~25lbs of CW's...so I need to improvise till I can afford to get more weights...

#19 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

I was thinking about my CWs for my Atlas also and I was thinking if I sanded all the black off and finished it at like 800 grit and then cleared it it would look a lot like SS and way less.

You should really get EQMOD running too Brent , it makes such a huger difference.

#20 nofxrx

nofxrx

• Vendors

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

Hey Erik!
That is a crafty idea..I may try that...even though mine now have ten coats of primer,white gloss, and clear over them..LOL

I will begin using EQMOD asap..right now I am just waiting for a clear night to nail PA,and then perform some PE tests.
THen, I will get out the ol' EQMOD handbook and get to work..
I already have the EQDIR from Shoestring, and a serial to USB(Aven??,it was the highest rated one on the EQMOD Y! Group....)...so I should be ready to go!
I have a friend sending me theSky6 to use as control SW...or I guess there are other things I could use while I am waiting for that...
Actually, I will be lucky to be able to get out one or two times this summer with how bad the weather has been...and how busy we seem to have been..

Anyways, thanks for the comments!! I know who to look up if I have any questions... ;) :D

#21 Nils_Lars

Nils_Lars

Voyager 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

You definitely scored a great mount for the price , feel free to ask away if you have any problems and I hope you get some clear skies.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics