Ross of London

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 richbrostrom

richbrostrom

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

I'm trying to get information and the value of a very old brass telescope and tripod. It belongs to an eldery friend and she asked me to sell it on ebay. She thinks it is from the 1800's. It is in a wooden box, has two eye piece lenses and another extension. It is all brass and about 32 inches long before installing the lenses. Any information or a point in the right direction will be apprieciated.

#2 astroneil

astroneil

Surveyor 1

• Loc: res publica caledoniae

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Can you post a pic?

Cheers,

Neil.

#3 richbrostrom

richbrostrom

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Here is a picture

Attached Files

#4 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

That's one interesting tripod you have there....Can you measure the diameter of the large lens out at the end of the tube, either in millimeters or inches? :question:

#5 ukcanuck

ukcanuck

Vendor (Skylight Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:24 AM

I'm trying to get information and the value of a very old brass telescope and tripod.

Andrew Ross operated in London from the early to mid 1800's, and Thomas Ross took the business afterwards. A bit of info here on page 95:

http://articles.adsa...000095.000.html

Sadly, the name of Ross is now widely counterfeited, and small draw tube scopes with their name crudely stamped into the brass are easily found at various markets around London.

At a guess, I would estimate this is a late 1800's example (earlier scopes tended to be more ornate around the mountings), and that style of tube was common around that time. Original lacquer appears to be gone, which can reduce it's value to a collector.

Tough to say without seeing it, and I'm not sure about US values for stuff like this...but in a private sale in the UK, I would guess around £600-£700 (around $900-$1000) (assuming it's in full working order). The appeal of 'Olde English Brass' may make it worth more in the US? Don't know...:question:

In an antiques store, of course...it would be double...and at an Antiques Fair in King's road, Chelsea... where the term budget has no meaning...the cost of a small-medium size car.

Value...once again, as much as someone is willing to pay. :smirk:

I hope this helps.

#6 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

I saw a similar instrument, not by Ross but same condition, no accessories, no case, for £550 in a dealer's window.

#7 richbrostrom

richbrostrom

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

The diameter of the objective lense in 2 1/2 inches inside dimension and 2 3/4 on the outside of the tube.

Thank you all that have responded, I still don't think I have enough information to sell it properly.

#8 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

You can always try an auction style sale with a reserve. I'm not big on reserves but if you have an absolute bottom price you'll need the reserve. Usually, the true value of whatever it is can be uncovered through a well thought out auction in the right venue. Lots of photos and detailed description is a must. Good luck.

#9 richbrostrom

richbrostrom

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

I plan on listing it on ebay, but need to try and date it and find out the detailed information on this particular telescope. My friend has a minimum price of $600 in mind. I suppose any potential buyers would recognize it for what it is and not need to be told so maybe the detailed information is not needed. Maybe all I need is a realistic target price.

#10 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

By "detailed information" I mean detailed about its condition including any blemishes or the like. And plenty of pictures. But you're right, anyone bidding on it will know what it is.

#11 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

As Richard mentioned, the absence of original lacquer does reduce value some - but do not polish the scope or re-lacquer it! This is a common mistake people make with these antique telescopes, and generally these type of "restorations" can reduce an antique's value noticeably.

A British antique dealer whom I've done much business with in the past has been selling older tripod-mounted British-made refractors like this one for about 350 to 500 pounds.

- Jay
South Florida

#12 richbrostrom

richbrostrom

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

I listed the telescope on ebay.

#13 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR, USA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Could you provide a link to your listing?

#14 richbrostrom

richbrostrom

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4aa2ab5c9f

#15 whamuel

whamuel

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

Wow, that is a beauty! I wish I had a little extra to spend on bidding on it...

--------------------------------
I dream of a yacht with a wood fired pizza oven.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics