Astro Tech Voyager Mount

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gmac17

gmac17

Lift Off

• Loc: Westfield, Indiana 46074

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

Has anyone adjusted the altitude spindle friction to relieve the 'stiction' when it is under load? How is it done?

#2 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

What do you mean by the altitude spindle? I have taken mine apart and relubed it and that greatly reduced the stiction but did not eliminate it completely. What I did was loosen the three small, black sets screw that are 120 degrees apart around the circumference of the Alt bearing assembly near the dovetail clamp. You can then unscrew the part that the dovetail clamp is attached to. Inside you will find sleeve bearings that are held in place by a large retaining ring. Before you can unscrew the retaining ring look for two small holes 180 degrees apart just behind the threads that holds the white part that the dovetail clamp is screwed to. You have to rotate the head until the holes are over the set screws that keep the retaining ring in place. unscrew the retaining ring and the bearings will slide apart and you can relube them. Mine was very sparse on lubricant. One caution I can give you when you tighten the set screws for the retaining ring during reassembly. Tighten them each a little at a time until they are snug. If you tighten them too much it will pinch the sleeve bearings and bind the mount. There are also clear plastic washers inside that you need to keep track of. Don't touch the three chrome allen screws on the black cover at the end of the alt head opposite the dovetail clamp. Those adjust the mesh of the worm to the worm wheel.

#3 Nippon

Nippon

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:57 AM

One more caution. Don't reassembele it so it turns too freely because if you do your scope will swing free and crash into the top of the azimuth bearing when you loosen the tension/lock screw or when you switch eyepieces with the tension/lock screw loose. The bearing needs to be tight enough that it will stay put with an unbalanced scope with the tension/lock screw loose

#4 gmac17

gmac17

Lift Off

• Loc: Westfield, Indiana 46074

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

Thank you so much for that info. That is exactly what I need.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics