Photo

Equatorial mount for a Coulter 13.1"?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jgb1166

jgb1166

Lift Off

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

Is it possible to design an alternative to the clunky mount for my venerable Coulter? An equatorial mount appeals, but the mechanics elude me. Any thought?
Cheers, Jon

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi Jon! Welcome to Cloudy Nights! You've come to a great place to have your questions answered.

I'm going to take the liberty of moving your post to the Mounts Forum, for more specialized assistance.

Good luck with your endeavor!

#3 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

• Loc: Guilford, Connecticut

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

You have a bunch of options and it depends on what you are looking for and how much DIY you want to invest.

The moderators moved your thread here but it might just have ended up in the ATM forum.

Are you looking for an equatorial mount because you want tracking?

Do you want a different mount because the Coulter is very heavy?

You can probably find an old Cave mount or something like that to put the 13.1" on but those mounts are very heavy. Not a problem if you're just wheeling it out of the garage.

You can also keep the Coulter the way it is and buy/build an equatorial table to rest it on top of that will track. But you're still left with the old Coulter mount.

Lots of folks have rebuilt Coulters with ligher tube or trusses. If you can elaborate a bit on what you want out of the scope people will have lots of suggestions.

#4 jgb1166

jgb1166

Lift Off

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for your response; my interest is two-fold: I trundle my scope out from the garage on a dolly which has a handlebar - easy to move, but it limits the arc through which I can rotate the scope - an equatorial mount would lift the axis above the bar. The other reason is purely aesthetic: The Coulter mount looks unfinished and bulky.

#5 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

• Loc: Guilford, Connecticut

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

As I mentioned before there are many ways you can go with this.

You can look for a used Cave mount or buy a heavy duty mount like the Atlas from Orion:
Orion Atlas

You can replace the cardboard tube with a wooden one.

You can build a scope like this one:
http://www.raycash.u...travelscope.htm

If you want to do some DIY work but not from scratch you could buy a Firstbase mount with clamshell rings:
http://www.astronomy....com/FirstBase/

Then you could replace the tube with a wooden one like this: 96 inch wood tube

Or a combination of this: 48 inch wood tube and this: 27.5 inch wood tube

It really depends on:
How much you want to spend?
How much DIY work you want to do?
Whether you want a mount that tracks?

I’ve always thought about going with the Firstbase setup and a wooden tube. I’ve been working on the 17.5 inch scope for many years and just haven’t gotten around to rebuilding my 13.1 inch coulter. I use a hand truck to wheel it out into the yard. Then I take it off the hand truck and observe. Yes it’s ugly and several things could be better but it gets the job done for now. All the goodies and nice ideas have gone into the 17.5 inch scope.

There are many great ideas out there for rebuilding your scope. I’m sure others will chime in. In the meantime think about how you might want to proceed

#6 jgb1166

jgb1166

Lift Off

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas and leads: I think a Firstscope mount is the way to go for now.
Cheers,
Jon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics