I may have ruined my CG5

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Farrukh

Farrukh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I think I have ruined my Celestron CG5 mount.

I purchased a teflon bearing set and Superlube for hypertuning the mount. First, I dismantled the Declination Axis and found several loose bolts and lot of sticky grease. I cleaned all the components placed the teflon bearings as advised and lubricated with superlube and assembled the axis, everything went very smoothly and now the Dec Axis is working better than before.

But things started getting wrong when I opened the RA axis, and I thought it was the easy part. Actually the RA axis has to bear all the weight that is put on the mount, that I learned the hard way, moreover the Ball-bearing had a slight wobble that I realized after I assembled the mount. With the counterweight and the scope attached, the RA axis suddenly started screaming and then stopped altogether. I quickly shut it off, and dismantled the mount again and found that the RA Axis shaft was bitten by the metal ring at the level of thrust ball-bearing. I cleaned it, made a few adjustments and assembled everything again, this time tightening the locking ring a bit further. At first everything looked fine but then again screaming and locking. I opened it again and found a complete ring of biting in the metal in the axis shaft. (photo attached).

Now I am lost, I dont know what to do. Should I replace the large Ball bearing or put back the plastic bearings and how to repair the shaft? Any help?

Attached Files

#2 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

Not sure how this could have happened The bearing race probably could be sanded with a 400 paper carefully..

Seems like the bearing is not seated correctly and the allens are scraping the race somehow My guess

Pm me if you want help with it. I have stripped down many mounts Atlas, Serious, CG-5 and LXD75

Greg

#3 Farrukh

Farrukh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for your comments. Today I went to a local machinist friend of mine and he suggested a solution. A bearing is available with the same specs as the shaft and inside of the RA-housing. The size is 35x47x7mm and the bearing number is 6807zz. He will prepare the seat for the new bearing tomorrow. Also the big bearing #6007 is to be replace with a better Japanese one. Hopefully I will be able to assemble the mount tomorrow and will report its working in a few days.

Thanks again.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics