Craters Mercenius and Meton

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

On our site (address below the signature), there a sketches of these two craters with a story about them in view of my limited sight. Go to the inspiration page and see the top left story for the full link or go to the news page to get to the inspiration page.

I grabbed Meton the other night as I was impressed with a section of the wall that appeared to be a huge peak with fissures. The light conditions made it too interesting to pass up, so I sketched for an hour or so with pastels. Mercenius was done over a month ago but with white sketch paper and pencils. The sets of equipment (Meton with astro video and Mercenius with Denk Bino Viewers) made the nights radically different along with (of course) different targets and lighting conditions. It was the view of the two sketches together that prompted the story and putting them together.

On the technical side, I started with 9x12 paper but cut both final sketches down to 8.5x11. When I post a sketch and story, the sketches are always cropped and resized to yield about 40K per sketch and fit on a page so friends with limited access to DSL don't have to struggle to look at them.

Hope you enjoy.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

Roland,

Two great and beautiful craters superbly rendered.
Your distinctive style shines through both sketches even with the different media used.
As always, your lesson is appreciated.:waytogo:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

Roland,

Excellent and beautiful observations of Mercenius and Meton. You have captured both craters very nicely. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Thank you Carlos and Frank. Both were fine times to relax and enjoy the scene. Glad you enjoyed the sketches and the words.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics