•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount - solely for Jupiter fireball patrol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Topic : Jupiter fireball patrol telescope

I want to set up a telescope and mount with one sole dedicated purpose, which will be to track Jupiter through the night for continuous video using a DMK 41 camera. The goal would be videography rather than astrophotography which means that I would only need the mount to track Jupiter and maintain Jupiter relatively centered in the camera frame. I would not need the tracking precision required for astro-photography work.

The mount and scope will essentially be unattended except for turning it on before I go to bed and turning it off in the morning. ( I suppose I might still need to do a meridian flip. Not sure about that.)

I am thinking that a 10" SCT will be an adequate telescope to detect larger fireballs. Weight of this scope might be about 30 pounds or so.

The mount will not need any go-to functions.

Money is a factor. I figure that if I shop for used equipment I can manifest some sort of mount and scope for $1,000 or less for this purpose.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome and I thank you in advance.

If I can clarify anything please ask as I am in the initial stages of this project but am ready to manifest what is required.

Thanks!

Thomas | New Mexico

PS : I already built a prototype system using an Orion ED 100 refractor and a CG5-gt mount. But, to do useful science I see I will need a bigger telescope which may or may not require a larger mount.
Here is a link for a short prototype video of what I am trying to do. I definitely need more aperture.
http://www.heliotown...Ashcraft_FL.mp4

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

a fork mount would remove the issues with meridian flip... ideally something like a Meade LX200 or LX90 would do. These are pretty good at keeping objects centered for many hours.

On a small budget, buy an Autostar 497 and Meade DS motors, and make a home-made fork mount.

http://bedair.org/ScopeStuff.html

as the Autostar 497 is the same one used on the LXD55 / LXD75, you can get pretty decent performance. You can buy the controllers and motors on ebay from lipstickonapig or scopehed1 (ebay ID's).

Another approach is to buy an old fork-mounted SCT like a C8 or Meade LX10, and get the Meade DS/autostar motors to robotize it. There's a Meade 10" OTA for $300 - $400 on a-mart right now... but a C8 fork mount can be had for $350.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics