• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JSeay86

JSeay86

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

I am trying to update my firmware on my Atlas eq-g hand controller. When I follow the instructions as described here, it tells me that it cannot connect to the hand controller when I hit "Update."

When I plug the power jack into the controller while holding 0 and 8, it says "SynScan Update Ver 1.3". Anyone know how I can get this to work? Thanks

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

I recommend you to use newest firmware and loader from skywatcher instead of orion.Especially the loader is much better than the old one.Try and tell us if it is still not working.

http://www.skywatche...s1=1&class2=101

#3 JSeay86

JSeay86

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:09 PM

neptun2: Thanks for the response. I just tried using the loader and files from skywatcher and still no luck. It's still telling me it cannot connect to the hand controller.

I bought the mount used on Astromart. I am pretty sure it's the version that allows firmware updates. Any way to tell for sure?

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

When you power up the mount you should see the version of synscan displayed on the hand controller.If it is 3.0 or later it should be upgradeable.If so check the drivers fro your usb to serial converter (if you use such) and update them if there is newer version.Finally check the com port assigned to your usb to serial converter and be sure that you have selected it in the firmware loader.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:44 AM

I am trying to update my firmware on my Atlas eq-g hand controller. When I follow the instructions as described here, it tells me that it cannot connect to the hand controller when I hit "Update."

When I plug the power jack into the controller while holding 0 and 8, it says "SynScan Update Ver 1.3". Anyone know how I can get this to work? Thanks

Make sure you've selected the proper comm port on your computer. Triple check it.

#6 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

The first thing to be certain of is that your current version of software is 3.0 or better. Versions below this live on hardware that does not have flash memory and cannot be updated. Folks who have trouble updating are often using some sort of USB to Serial converter. If you have a computer with a dedicated COM port try using it to upgrade the hand paddle.

#7 cuir

cuir

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Up north.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

A hardware or driver conflict is often taken care of by disabling a serial/com port. My computer's old motherboard disables the COM ports when the hardware SATA RAID controller is activated. On my particular setup, the disabling of the serial port is automatic, but ON/disabled setting in the BIOS does not change by itself, even with the serial hardware knocked off circuit by the RAID controller, so it still shows as being there, and working, in Windows, when it is in fact, not usable.

The serial/COM port is an old standard, long dead for most consumer peripherals, however the corporate and scientific usually lags behind when it come to getting rid of older standards; cost concerns... Synta engineers probably overlooked this, or chose it because of lower licensing fees than for USB.

You may fall pray to such a desing "bug" and not be aware of it. Make sure you read your computer's motherboard's technical specs and user guide.

#8 JSeay86

JSeay86

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

I'm using the Scopestuff #SCS6 cable found here and still no luck. I double checked the COM port also.

I also checked and the hand controller is indeed able to accept firmware updates.

#9 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

Did you try to set the hand controller at low speed for the update as listed at the bottom of this document (http://www.skywatche...an Firmware.pdf)? Also if you press the HC Version button in the loader do you get version information displayed or not? Also did you try it on a pc with real serial port instead with usb to serial converter?

#10 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

I'm using the Scopestuff #SCS6 cable found here and still no luck. I double checked the COM port also.

I also checked and the hand controller is indeed able to accept firmware updates.

Are you sure that's the right cable? It says it's for remote control from a PC. No mention of programing.
Note this for the Nexstar that says "Not for Firmware Downloads." Looks like the same cable.

#11 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

The Synta DB9-RJ45 cable is the one for downloads, and any other computer to hand controller communications either the Atlas/EQ6 or its little brother the Sirius/HEQ5. The problem almost always has been either a USB2Serial adapter, or the port assignments on Vista and 7 OSs. I had to hunt down a surplus/overstock sale to get a laptop running Win2K Pro with a DB9 type output port.

#12 JSeay86

JSeay86

Messenger

• -----

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

Fred you're right that looks to be the wrong cable. On the Orion and skywatcher sites it says the correct cord is rj-11 to db9 though, but Jim says it's rj45 to db9.

The cable that connects the handcontroller to the mount in the field for control would work then if I got a db9 female to female adapter for connecting to the computer.

#13 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

The update of hand controller firmware is always done using rj11 to rs232 cable.This is the cable that comes with the mount for connection to pc.When you update the firmware it is not needed the hand controller to be connected to the mount.

#14 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

My bad on the RJ45; that's the cable to the mount head. RJ11 for the download port.

#15 JSeay86

JSeay86

Messenger

• -----

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:47 AM

Does anyone know where I can purchase the firmware cable? I am the second owner of my mount and the firmware cable didn't come with it. I have searched online but no luck. Thanks for the help everyone!

#16 yg1968

yg1968

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:36 PM

The Atlas cable from Scopestuff should work as far as I know. Most people that have problems with firmware upgrades have problems with the serial to USB cable. Some serial to USB cables work for firmware upgrade but some clearly do not. The serial to USB cable from scopestuff should work:
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_usbr.htm

#17 Alwaysusa

Alwaysusa

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:50 AM

You could call Orion. I think the cable costs $10, as I just received my new cable from them (free as it wasn't in the box to begin with) - but the pink slip said it was $10.

They don't list it on their site, but they do have them. At least that way you know you're getting the right cable, and their customer service is excellent.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics