Sketch of Moonwalk with Your Eyes Objects

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Frank's post on his latest moon sketch made me think of a possible project some of us could do together (anyone would be welcome). I have the book, Moonwalk with Your Eyes, A Pocket Field Guide by Tammy Pletner. which takes one through a guided tour of the moon based on the phases. There is enough there to keep one busy observing/sketching for awhile. It can be seen here at Amazom.

My project idea is to start with the waxing crescent in several weeks (time for those who want to buy the book to get it) and we pick one object out of the book for that phase to sketch. I have been practicing some of late using lunar images but I need more practice on the real thing. So this idea came along. Anyone want to do this with me? We can post our results in a thread here and it would allow for a sharing of techniques and a visual of the same object through different observers.

#2 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

Jay,

I like this idea a lot. One of my favorite things about sketching and participating on CN is the ability to share my sketches and take a look at how others perceived the same object. It's fun to see the similarities and differences, and is always a joy. While my schedule is pretty full, I'd love to take part in this project as I'm able. While I do not have the particular book you mention, I do have a copy of Rukl's Atlas of the Moon, so I could apt locate most targets.

- Jay
South Florida

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

Jay,

That is a fine idea. So far this year projects and clouds have limited my sketching time. I'll jump in if I can.

Frank :)

#4 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:07 AM

Count me in!

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

Idem dito, if the Belgium weather wants to cooperate!

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:14 PM

Cool, I'll post some objects and we can then decide which we want. Do we want to focus on the waxing crescent or first quarter? Just thinking of time to sketch so if it is a waxing crescent we'll try to get it when there is enough time to observe and sketch it. Should be a fun way to break in the XX14i I got.

#7 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

Jay, can one participate without the book?

I was wondering if you could list objects for a given day?

Thanks for proposing this idea.

#8 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

Mathteacher,

Just to clarify. I thought I would post like 3 objects the week before and then those who want to participate agree on one and we go after that. So if someone doesn't have the book they can join in no problem.

Two reasons, one I think it will be excellent to view and compare. Two, I'm a novice on Lunar Sketching and I want to be able to compare my lowly work to those I consider masters as a learning process. I think others will as well and this will only enhance the experience in the thread here, and perhaps increase sketching here of the lunar landscape.

I guess the next question is do we want to wait for the waxing crescent phase or do we want to begin like next Saturday or next Sunday. With the waxing moon comes a late rise to view. Next Saturday, July 3rd would be open for viewing say Alphonsus or Moretus.

July 4th would bring the Parry Crater or Clavius. I am willing to start next weekend but realize that many may have holiday plans for the 4th of July so that is why I was thinking we should start on the next lunar cycle. Thoughts?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics