Bausch & Lomb 7x50 id help please.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

• Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

I bought these B&L today and got myself an absolute bargain, they are coated and in great condition.
Can someone tell me the approx year of manufacturer and M#?
Thanks.

Attached Files

#2 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

ID cap

Attached Files

#3 pcad

pcad

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

Can't help ID them, but they look like they're in great condition. Very nice.

#4 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

They do look great Simon, and they look like my uncle's WWII US Navy B&L Mk 28, which are coated and are very nice astronomy binos. Maybe they are similar, a standard field of view of a bit over 7° would support that speculation.

The lack of engraved markings for the military service branch and model # etc., makes me think they are post-war civilian market production?

And that time frame suggests MgF2 coatings, which seem to show on eyepieces in the photo...

#5 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hi Jaybird yes light coatings and look no more that7º field of view. Only payed £22 for them!

#6 FrankL

FrankL

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Not only does it look like a B&L U.S. Navy Mark 28 but it also seems to have eyecups designed to accept the M1 variable density filter which gives it the appearance of a military not civilian model. FOV of the Mk 28 and its variants is 7 deg 10 min.

#7 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

I had an original prototype, Complete with case, strap, and axle mounting adapter. The leather was still fresh and fuzzy and smelled like fresh leather, though it was decades old. But while having it at Captain's for show, someone felt they needed it worse than I did. So sad!

Greed is a terrible thing,

Bill

#8 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:17 AM

I had an original prototype, Complete with case, strap, and axle mounting adapter. The leather was still fresh and fuzzy and smelled like fresh leather, though it was decades old. But while having it at Captain's for show, someone felt they needed it worse than I did. So sad!

Greed is a terrible thing,

Bill

Are you saying someone stole if Bill :flame:
I would add there is no graticule fitted............

#9 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

"Are you saying someone stole if Bill
I would add there is no graticule fitted............"

Yep! I also lost a nice film camera there, too.

Cheers,

Bill

#10 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

Well today I compared them to the Sard 7x50, and although brighter and better colour rendition, the Sards are still a close second.
I am tempted to find someone to collimate them properly.
Any ideas?

#11 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

"brighter and better color rendition"? Most/all Sard 7 x 50 have a sight yellow tint, though not nearly as much as Russian binoculars.

Why do the telescope objectives Stellarvue sell, made by LOMO in Russia, not have the yellow tint one finds in Russian binoculars?

I have, in storage, approximately 100 bodies and coverplate sets, for the B&L USMC version of the Mk. 28, whose Mk. number I have forgotten. They came from Albany Georgia. The "Mk. 28" has a line through it, and a new model is engraved. Those binoculars are equiped with a reticle . Anyone interested? Movie set props? Museum wall display?

#12 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

"Well today I compared them to the Sard 7x50, and although brighter and better colour rendition, the Sards are still a close second.
I am tempted to find someone to collimate them properly.
Any ideas?"

Cory.

Cheers,

Bill

#13 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:00 AM

Is there nobody in UK ? Those are probably the easiest hinged, eccentric mounted objective lenses binocular to service: Good design, prisms secured without glue, many specimens were produced and have existed for 66+ years, they are the example in the Navy manuals and in ATM III , close tolerances held in the objective mounts and the eccentric rings, and in the original B&L prisms and the shelves into which they fit, many parts can yet be found, splined focus collar simplifies diopter number setting, rubber coverplate gaskets avoid messy WW II black wax sealant cleanup (xylene or toluene are good. Yuk!) such as is found with the Mk1, Mk 21, and others.

#14 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

Hi Gordon, will have a look over this side of the pond , there are a few companys I can try.
Regarding the Sard 7x50, I see no shift in hue towards yellow. Could be the balm deterioration maybe?
If you have enough parts to make an earlier model I would be interested, but I know you would rather get rid of the lot.

#15 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:34 AM

I have had good experiences with Optrep.

http://www.opticalrepairs.com/

#16 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:21 AM

Is "balm" a typographic error? Or is that a synonym for balsam? I thought that balm is something to relieve muscular aches, or burns, or insect bites?

That is an extensive collection. Are Mk. 28 rare in UK? There were WW II Canadian bought/used/labeled versions of Mk. 28 or other B&L 7 x 50, some of which may have decided to stay in UK after convoy duty.

Most Mk. 28 are labeled with the year 1943, when B&L probably had 24 hours / 3 shift working. Mk. 28 appear in their WW II advertisements in National Geographic magazine , together with production goal flags awarded.

Yes, I have enough semi-complete or rebuild or adjustment candidate Mk. 28 and Mk. I, etc WW II B&L 7 x 50 to occupy many days , but that has not been a priority activity for me lately.

#17 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Sorry for spelling mistake! This model is rare over here and at this price it was a steal.
Let me know if you would like to sell a MKI Gorgon.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics