• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gezak22

gezak22

Viking 1

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hi guys,

I have 2 small issues with my mount that I would like to get some feedback on.

1. Sometimes, when I release one of the direction buttons, the mount doesn't stop moving. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does only one button is affected - N, I think. Any idea what's going here?

2. When calibrating PHD guiding, E and W calibration pass with flying colors. However, when looking at the motion of the star during the N-S steps, I notice that its motion is not perpendicular to the E-W motion. For example, W moves it left, E right (almost back to its original position), and N up. S will move the star up during the first two steps (a backlash issue I assume), then down with a significant 'left-right' component. ?

Other details: I use an Orion shorttube 80mm f/5 guidescope and I piggyback a DSLR with a 200mm lens. The setup is balanced. I always do a 2+4 alignment followed by an ASPA and then another 2+4 alignment. When I don't have issue number 1, the error after my alignment routine is ~1' per axis. Backlash is set to zero.

I forgot which firmware version I have, but it's the oldest one that supports the ASPS on the AS-GT.

Thanks for looking.

#2 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney , Australia

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

I wish I knew the answer (Edit-well actuallY I suppose I do-the mount needs mechanical adjustment
I tried once but it doesnt seem to have worked so will need to give it a further tweak and see)
I have the exact same problem-in fact I am unable to autoguide in Dec anymore
this has started happening only recently though

#3 Mike X.

Mike X.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

It could be backlash or some play at the worm gear if the mount keeps moving for some time after the release of the button or doesnt moves for some time when you press the button.
In this case it could be adjusted with a simple regulation of the worm gear mesh.It's a simple operation and can be considered routine maintenance specially in mounts used for astrophotography.

#4 gezak22

gezak22

Viking 1

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

It could be backlash or some play at the worm gear if the mount keeps moving for some time after the release of the button or doesnt moves for some time when you press the button.
In this case it could be adjusted with a simple regulation of the worm gear mesh.It's a simple operation and can be considered routine maintenance specially in mounts used for astrophotography.

Could you link a web page with pictures illustrating how to inspect the worm gears of the AS-GT? I've always wanted to inspect them, but never found a good guide.

Thanks.

#5 mikewayne3

mikewayne3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego CA

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

I had the problem myself but now that I set the backlash RA to 01 and Dec to 01 that problem is gone (drifting after
I let go of the button that is)
Mike

#6 gezak22

gezak22

Viking 1

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

#7 gezak22

gezak22

Viking 1

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Alright guys,

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. After disassembling the DEC shaft, relubing, and adjusting the worm gear mesh, problem 1 is no longer an issue but problem 2 is still present.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics