• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Erric

Erric

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hi all.

Just wondering if the good-old cg5 will be replaced anytime soon? I think it's been 6 years already. Any new small tracking gem in the works? uSB connections, easier alignment, color screens, etc?

Or the cg5 is alreadygood for many more years and stop thinking about the next vesion.?

Thanks!

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hi all.

Just wondering if the good-old cg5 will be replaced anytime soon? I think it's been 6 years already. Any new small tracking gem in the works? uSB connections, easier alignment, color screens, etc?

Or the cg5 is alreadygood for many more years and stop thinking about the next vesion.?

Thanks!

Well, you never know, but as long as it is still sellin...

As for USB, be careful what you wish for. Serial is still better for our applications in some ways...long cord runs are no problem, and no need to have to start worrying about special drivers for current/older software.

#3 Erric

Erric

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the post.
I was thinking there may be some improvement for the CG5 like the LDX75 was an improvement over the LDX55. But even that upgrade was just better bearings and a better tripod.

So it seems then the CG5 is about as good as it can resonabily get and should last a good long time.

#4 dwitek

dwitek

Mariner 2

• Loc: White Lake, Michigan

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

It is built pretty well. I've had mine apart to hypertune it and it has two sets of ball bearings in the RA azis. Sure, you could add ball bearings to the DEC axis but that would drive the price up some. The motors seem to be the weak link, many of us have replaced one or both over the years. The mount, at least on the newer ones, is quite good for this class.

As long as you keep the weight well within spec it's about as good as it needs to be. IMHO.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics