8 replies to this topic

#1 Farrell

Farrell

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Missouri, Cole County, USA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hi all

I'm Fairly new to the group and I've been reading all the possible fixes to the ASGT. Mine will not align. (can't get pasted the alignment mark area on Initial steup).. also when it does let me by, it slews in DEC around and around.. A Friend of mine looked at it and found the DEC Motor Emitter/Detector Pair was not sending info: to the Motor Control Board..Here is the Question, Does any body have a Schematic on the motors and motor control board (the whole thing or part)..Trying to fix Mount my self. Can anybody help?

Farrell

#2 Gregk

Gregk

Vanguard

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

Sounds like motor encoders or dec cable There are schematic of the CGE mount which is similar and that is soemwhere on yahoo For now can't remember

You can swap motor encoders from RA to Dec but from your description not certain I fully understand the issue.

What happens when you try to do an alignment does only one axis move ?

#3 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:44 AM

I think the schematics are in the files area of the Nexstar or Nexstar GPS groups, they are for something older, such as the Nexstar GPS but the basic design hasn't changed.

Yes, probably an encoder issue, it may be the cables, internal or external, they can be unreliable and reseating the cables in the sockets may help.

Chris

#4 Farrell

Farrell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

GregK

Thanks for responding

Didn't think of CGE motor, Thanks I'll look for that.

(Sorry for the bad description earlier)

Here it goes:
When you start the alignment process you align to the alignment marks on body of mount, RA works fine, DEC will not. the North Button works #9 speed, the South Button goes to #5 speed and then stops. Hand control LED Says No Response 16, and all locked up. To bye pass the alignment marks I press enter and Enter until I get to (Two star Alignment) then down to (Last Alignment) Enter..Alignment Successful, I punch in NGC 188, Enter, RA and DEC slews to position and stops as normal (5sec) later DEC Drives south at Slew speed, I must turn it off or OTA hits mount/tripod..
Hope that's better.

Where can one find Part numbers and Manufactures for Encoders and others parts..Etc.. to fix problems ourselves.?.if possible.

Schematic helps to ID Parts, Voltage path, for trouble shooting.

Thanks Again

Farrell

#5 Farrell

Farrell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Chris

Thanks for the input: I'll look in the files area..

Farrell

#6 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

how about your cables?

1. power jack is a common problem . try splitting the tip to make a tighter fit.

2. try swapping your data cables and see if the problem moves from one motor to the other.

just tryin' ta suggest easy stuff first. :grin:

Theo

#7 Farrell

Farrell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

Thanks to all for your inputs

Clear Skies

Farrell

#8 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hi Farrel,

My CG-5GT nearly did the exact same thing as you describe. Heres what mine did, after first getting it:

I got used to doing a quick-align and two star align outside. Then, when I had the mount indoors was seeing if I could enter RA and DEC coordinates and have the mount slew to them. Well, I hit the wrong buttons when entering the RA and DEC coordinates. Can't exactly remember what I did, but think I hit the <enter> key instead of the up or down key. I don't have this mount anymore, so don't have the HC to look at it. So, the mount "tried" to move to the coordinates, but didn't make it. Then the DEC started slewing and had to shut the mount off or it would have hit the mount. After turning the mount back on, then did a 1-star alignment and the mount was really messed up. The DEC motor would just start moving and not stop.

Now, I did a "reset" in the HC, but no help. Then I read the instructions more carefully about entering coordinates. Here I saw my mistake! I instantly realized I had not programed in the RA an DEC coordinates correctly! I turned on the mount, did a quick-align and went directly to re-entering the original RA & DEC positions. Bingo, the mount came back to life again!

Seems as thou I had inadvertently "jammed" the insides up some by not pressing the correct HC buttons! Phew! Boy, was I happy it was fixed!

This may or may not be your problem, but wanted you to know that the HC does REMEMBER some of the input you give it. What thru me the biggest curve was the HC DID NOT clear out the input I had given it by going thru a RESET! The HC REMEMBERED the BAD input I mistakenly entered!

I do almost get the impression your DEC cable just might be the culprit, from what I've read in your post.

I hope you find the problem. Please post if you do fix it!

#9 Farrell

Farrell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi ED

Thanks for your input, Problem fixed. (Replaced DEC Motor, & Motor Control Board) I performed a Hyper-tune on the mount and forgot how the DEC motor plug mounted to the circuit board and I got it reversed and (burned out the South Encoder on Motor) Oscilloscope confirmed . Ordered Dec Motor and Control Board, change both out and all is Well..

If you take it apart put it back together right!!!! Take a picture or something, it will save you money and Headache..

Again to all thanks for your inputs..

Clear skies Fair Seas to all.

Farrell

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics