• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 johndavid24

johndavid24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: ohio

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

It's hard to get an answer sometimes here, I've been building my roll off roof and it's down to getting the scopes put in.
I want to make a EQ wedge for my 16" sct , using pillow block bearings and 3/4" aluminum plate, some type of screw adjuster to set the angle.It'll be double nutted and slotted to go on the concrete pier below. I haven't seen one homemade EQ wedge for a 16", am I overlooking something?

Attached Files

#2 BubbyD

BubbyD

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troy, Ohio

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

Do you have a blueprint, or just building it old school- giter done. lol :D

#3 BubbyD

BubbyD

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

Don't forget the wedge has to be adjusted in two axis. It needs to rotate parallel to the ground as well as your altitude adjustment. So your base plate that bolts to your beautiful concrete pier needs to have a second plate above it parallel to it that can rotate like a tabletop and then be locked in. That tabletop plate is what gets the scope mount attached to it. (the part that is anchored on one end and raised/lowered on the other.

Does that make sense?

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Before I spent any substantial money and time on EQ wedge mounting the Meade 16 I'd ensure that the forks can handle what I'm planning. There were a number of cases over the past 7 years or so where Meade 16 owners went to a wedge and found problems with their forks (ringing vibrations etc.). The solution for a number of folks was to move to a big gem.

#5 BubbyD

BubbyD

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

Before I spent any substantial money and time on EQ wedge mounting the Meade 16 I'd ensure that the forks can handle what I'm planning. There were a number of cases over the past 7 years or so where Meade 16 owners went to a wedge and found problems with their forks (ringing vibrations etc.). The solution for a number of folks was to move to a big gem.

Yes, but that was for imagers, wasn't it? Are you imaging? I suppose with such a long focal length, vibrations could be a concern with visual use.

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

I believe one of the M16 owners who had this concern was visual only. He went to an AP1200 mount and then got rid of the M16 ota and went with an APM 16" Mak.

I'm also not suggesting that all M16s have this issue, it's just that it was a concern for some owners.

#7 johndavid24

johndavid24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Yes , old school. similar to the mount below, but the pivot point will be between the 4 mounting bolts closer to the south two bolts...to place the bulk of the weight over the pier,ie the two 1 1/4" pillow block bearings and steel shaft bolted to the angled plate, with this design, would it be nessesary to have the two lower plates? . I plan on doing a lot of imaging and a GEM would be nice, when i can afford it.
Beautiful pier, was that sarcastic? I have a bucket of some kind of fine concrete mix to skim coat the piers to fill all the small pockets. It'll look better when painted and filled, I have a lot of pics of the build, if interested.Some are on the Observatories forum under (14" and 20" sonotube pier questions), I actually used a 12 and 20 inch sonatube.

Thanks, John

ps: anybody here from Toledo,Ohio?

Attached Files

#8 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• Loc: Long: 81.42 W Lat: 41.21 N

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

John,

I have a Meade 16" LX200 GPS on a wedge made by a good friend of mine located in Medina Ohio. He makes all kinds of great astronomical stuff. Here is the dandy wedge he made me for this scope. This thing weighs around 100 lbs or more. Solid as a rock too. If you're interested, give this guy a jingle. PM me and I will give you his phone number to call. For now though, here are some photos of this wedge:

Attached Files

#9 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Attached Files

#10 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Attached Files

#11 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

Attached Files

#12 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

Notice ... it is set at the center of gravity. Very important!!! I love this whole setup. Also notice that you can adjust for latitude about 5 degrees worth, and also in azimuth! I was so pleased with this guy's work.

#13 BubbyD

BubbyD

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all! I love that big beefy thing. You could put a 32" RCOS on that thing! :jump:

#14 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

Possibly heresy but would getting a fixed wedge work? It could be aligned by adjusting the tilt of the whole thing.

It will take a bit of time to get set up but with a permanent mount you only have to do it once.

Chris

#15 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

Possibly heresy but would getting a fixed wedge work? It could be aligned by adjusting the tilt of the whole thing.

It's definitely workable; that's how the EQ piers supplied by Meade for that model are built. An adjustable wedge is still much easier to work with if one can be found or built.

#16 johndavid24

johndavid24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

The fixed wedge sounds good, i don't know why i didn't think of that, the adjustments can all be made by putting nuts on the bottom and top of the plate, slotting the holes for azm. raising or lowering the front or rear set for alt....( some of this i already know ) thats why i come here for ideas, that would work ok like that wouldn't it? Will i be able to get the proper polar align that way?
I'm not that experienced with astronomy so bear with me, please.... bad neck, lot of help with building,long story but i love this hobby. Also ,once polar aligned , as long as the pier doesn't move, will there be a need for any further adjustments to the polar alignment? I really like the idea of loosing the pillow block bearings and bolting the top plate directly to the bottom for stability. The threads on the bolts are coarse, will that be a problem getting a fine polar alignment?

ps: just a pic of the modified garage door opener

Attached Files

#17 johndavid24

johndavid24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:14 PM

link to the observ forum for more pics if you like, ( http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1 ) Can somebody let me know how to make this long link a "button" ? if it can be done easily....just never really needed to do it,Thanks John

PS: just another pic, note,lower bearing support had to be milled to clearance the chain and sprockets. My Smithy 1340 IMX really comes in handy , no... i'm not a walking ad for them, any 3 in 1 would help in this hobby.

Attached Files

#18 BubbyD

BubbyD

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

Yes, unless we get hit by a stray planet, once polar aligned, always polar aligned. Just get it polar aligned dead nuts exact, especially with that giant scope of yours. :drool:

#19 johndavid24

johndavid24

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Halfway done with the one piece solid mount, will welding be better or bolt it together ? I'm thinking...welding,if I can find somebody to weld 3/4 inch aluminum plate....my "Swiss mount" you'll see, if you ck back,John M

and a pic of the bracket that holds the 4 by 6 poles to the concrete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics