Current state of affairs in Film

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 David1268

David1268

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Somehow photons striking film seems more "real" than an electronic file of 0's & 1's that has been processed - although I acknowledge it's really no different than photons striking pixels and film images can be processed to an extent. Also I'm about to take the plunge into digital.

Btw, like Tommyhawk I have a car with a carb that I love to tune.

#52 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Frostbite Falls

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Jim I know the feeling. I've passed up some good nights this year - just cannot get going to drive out to the farm. Getting old I guess and those cold nights without heat just don't do it for me anymore. Tomorrow night conditions - for the first time this year are above average. But, as usual I have a meeting to attend that evening. Maybe after the meeting? What are the odds? Any takers? :smirk:

Igor

#53 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:17 AM

Igor,

In light of recent events I am forced to reevaluate everything . I know there is some special work with film to be done, but I believe the tour de force work is over.

I now have hundreds of hours of exposures to comb over and organize. Maybe I will produce a catalog of sorts, kinda like a Selected Regions of the Milky Way, ala Barnard. I have all my field notes from all those years of shooting. It will be fun to organize and desktop publish. I do want to get into writing and perhaps this will be a good next step and a worthy project.

It is hard to pass up those nights. Let's plan on observing more and photographing less. But you know we'll get the itch to load a roll and expose from time to time. :lol:

#54 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

AGREED Jim. Getting the Tec ready for some backyard viewing tonight. Might bring the G11 home from the OB and just enjoy some planetary and double star viewing, not to mention Luna. Taking a year off might be a good thing. Re-evaluate the frames, and then take specific exposures to fill out the catalogue so to speak.

I now have access to Bortle 1.5 skies up north and can visit this cottage throughout the year. Those skies alone would make a huge difference to the quality of the exposures. When I viewed the M. Way this summer from this location - even with a rising moon, it was something I had not experienced in quite awhile. The hunt camp has just under Bortle 2 - and the cottage is noticeably "richer" in what can be seen with the eye.

Igor

#55 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I went to Target the other day to get some film. I wanted to experiment with 400 speed color film if ISON gets at all good. I remember taking some nice shots of Hyakutake on 400 speed film. They had no film in the store. I was so surprised. I found no disposable cameras, either. The fellow there said he hadn't seen any come in to be stocked for about three months. I have no idea if that is true and if it's chain wide if it is true but I did look around since I never believe anything they tell me and I couldn't find any.

I think I will get some BW film from Freestyle and develop it myself.

All this talk of "toxic" chemicals. Color chemicals could be pretty toxic, I suppose, but I never had any trouble either way. BW chemicals - how I loved the smell. I can't wait to get back into it. I had the strangest brown spots on my hands from not using gloves...

GW

#56 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

Gosh - a sign of the times that is. But I know Freestyle and B&H have films - lots to choose from and quick delivery. Probably B&W would be a better choice for comets - not a lot of colour and sure simplifies the developing task.

Please shoot and post any pictures you get. This could be a great comet to shoot and many are looking forward to it. Will you be shooting from a tripod or mount?

igor

#57 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'll shoot on a CG5 mount, piggybacked on my scope. I recall using exposures of up to 30 minutes when Hyakutake was around. I can't remember exactly - it's been a while. I'll probably shoot and develop film and then scan it, without making actually prints. That seems a good method, to me. GW

#58 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

What are your sky conditions as far as L pollution goes? If you have good skies, and use a 100 B&W film the exposure sounds about right +- with a faster f stop. If Nightfly jumps in he could help a bit more with this as I have little experience with comets or B&W films. Jim shoots a lot of Fuji Acros.

We still have time to get sorted out for this presentation. It could be a special once in a lifetime event as we go thru the tail and hopefully get a fantastic shower.

#59 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

If you can find Fujicolor 100 (CN) in 135 format, that would be my first pick. Fujicolor 200 is almost as good.

http://www.bhphotovi..._CA_135_24_F...

It's cheap and really good. Snatch some before its gone.

Fuji Acros 100 is the best B&W film for astrophotography, period. It will cover the spectrum from blue to orange, but cuts off dramatically in the red spectrum. Should be fine for comets.

Kodak Gold 200 is a great performer, but requires more exposure than the fuji films listed above.

I have not tried Kodak 400. If it is like the old gold 400 from the 90's it should be a great film.

#60 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for that info! Gold 400 was indeed the film I was using before. I will see about getting the Fuji film you mention. I still have my easyguider and everthing needed for all kinds of film AP. I have not been pleased with results from digital imaging - if you are as interested in art as in science, digital looks wrong, at least I think so. GW

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics