Advice Please: GEM for Meade 6" Refractor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 C11GPS

C11GPS

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

am restoring a Meade 6" refractor and am thinking I need to upgrade my mount a bit...well maybe more than a bit.
I estimate that the OTA rings Eyepiece etc will weigh in very close to 30 pounds. My current GEM a CG 5 handles my 4" refractor just fine but th 6" is just too much
MInd you this is a back yard scope, not necessarily for serious viewing... mostly lunar and planetary studd. Point is I dont want to spend a fortune here. All advice gratefully received...
Steve

#2 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

Including myself, I know two others in my club that use 6" refractors on their CG5ASGT mount.

BTW, one of them is the older orange tube Meade.

#3 C11GPS

C11GPS

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Well OK Fred... did you do anything to help dampen the vibration times? I think thats the real problem with all that weight atop the mount...
have already got wooden legs and a 18" pier extension atop the tripod...
Open to any suggestions... and thanks for writing!
Steve

#4 urbanMark

urbanMark

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

I mount my Meade 152ED on a G11 with no problems - works very well, even on silly high powers. Tapping the scope shows a damping time of 1-2 seconds max. I am using a longer dovetail and saddle (17" long) and parallax rings. I have also found the Losmandy isolation pads (glow in the dark) to be useful when setup on concrete. My G11 is on the standard G11 tripod.

For your current mount, I'd make sure the alt/az polar adjustments are secure and the connection between the mount and the tripod is secure, no loose legs on the tripod, etc. You might also try moving the counter balance weights closer to the mount (and adding more weight to bring it back to balance). Sometimes having the counterweights out on a long moment arm can create problems. If you can place your rings on a longer dovetail and try a longer saddle plate that might help too.

#5 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Well OK Fred... did you do anything to help dampen the vibration times? I think thats the real problem with all that weight atop the mount...
have already got wooden legs and a 18" pier extension atop the tripod...
Open to any suggestions... and thanks for writing!
Steve

Damping can be an issue but it doesn't bother me as I mostly slew with the Hand Controller and only touch the scope to focus, then lock it down. My apologies for failing to mention that I do use the 16" SVP pier. The scope buddies I mentioned do not use the pier.

Attached Files

#6 Alterf

Alterf

Viking 1

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

I put an old Meade DS-10 on a tripod and it handled the AR-6 easily and nicely. I had to build a tripod, and I obtained a connecting part from a machine shop, but the mount is very tough. Once I got away from the variable household current, the mount tracks accurately. It would probably do fine up to 30 lbs. Images of the mount are on my blog, just search for DS-10.

Val

#7 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

• Loc: Smoggy Bottom, Baytown,Texas

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

A Hargeave strut will stiffen things up considerably...

Attached Files

#8 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

I had an AR-6. The Meade LXD-55 was too light. Some friends had the same OTA on LXD-75s. The one on the stock tripod was a bit jiggly, but the one on a heavy-duty tripod was just fine.

I think a Sirius would do just fine.

#9 AntarcticDave

AntarcticDave

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

I have my Antares 6" (shorter, at f6.5, than the Meade) on a CGEM mount and have been quite happy with it.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics