LXD75 what is it worth

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

I am going to pick up a SN8 this weekend. I can buy an unopened LXD75. What is a good price for one that is about 2 months old and never been opened? Can it be used to hold a c11 for visual if I have to have my CGEM serviced?

Thanks

#2 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

I have an LXD75 and I don't think a C11 is going to be very stable on it. My 9.25 is fine, with a heavy EP and 2" diaganol, it was getting bouncy, a C11 weighs 5 more lbs. It might be too much weight.

I would expect $400- 450 to be a good price for a used one, the better condition the closer to $450. I don't how about an unopened one. Once its not from a dealer its used.

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

Unopened in the box is not necessarily a good thing. A large number of things ship defective.

For example, I shelled out $2400 for my ZAO II eyepiece set and was thinking about just sitting on it and not using it. Then I found out that a number of the 16mms in this series had 10mm field stops. I had to open the set to find out--good thing, too, because my 16mm had the defect. I raise the point because Zeiss is a premier world brand, Meade is a world brand but not a premier one. So it's not out of the quetion to suggest "out of the box" might not work out.

You'll have no right of return because you didn't buy it from vendor. Taking into account these risks, I would stick close to the ordinary used value of these mounts.

The LXD75 is made out of some kind of metal that fractures easily and I'm not so sure about that C11 sitting on top of it. Could stress the mount. I saw an LXD 75 split open after falling on soft grass.

Greg N

#4 DLB242

DLB242

Mr. Warmth

• -----
  • Loc: Pen Argyl, PA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

I am going to pick up a SN8 this weekend. I can buy an unopened LXD75. What is a good price for one that is about 2 months old and never been opened? Can it be used to hold a c11 for visual if I have to have my CGEM serviced?

Thanks

Unopened or not the mount is not new so it should be thought of as used when trying to figure a price. As Greg pointed out you also run the risk that the mount could be defective out of the box and with no warranty you're stuck with paying for the repair. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for the mount. Meade uses cheap aluminum bolts for the counter weight, azimuth adjustment, latitude adjustment, saddle set screw and to lock the legs. Replacing these will beef up the mount somewhat but I still wouldn't mount a C11 on it. My LXD75 worked OK with my Antares 1529 for visual but I don't think the mount would have handled much more weight.

#5 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

I should have mentionrd it has the 3 yr sky assurance on it that can be transfered. I would only pick iy up as a spare for the CGEM. I guess it would not be worth the risk to put the C11 on it.

#6 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

c925 is about the limit

#7 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

I believe someone posted that the mount is not new...even though the mount is in a sealed box. I agree and add the following...

I don't believe the warranty is transferable to the second owner. If something fails where you need to make a claim on the warranty, you may have problems.

#8 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

Well the deal fell through. The sky assurance is transferable however. I passed on the deal and he got his money back from walmart, I don't know how he will get his money back on the sky assurance. He had actually just picked up the packages a day ago. Kinda wished it had worked out, as a fast F4 with a mallicam and reducer sounds good and wsith no diffraction spikes!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics