• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hey,

Anyone using a cg5 as a portable camera tracking mount for wide angle shots? I just picked up a new cg5 asgt for visual and the eq head is so small it could easily be carried
on an airplane. Probably wouldnt need a counterweight with just a camera attached. Problem would be the heavy tripod. Anyone attached a cg5 head to a camera tripod? I'm sure an adapter could be made although you would need a pin to use for adjusting azimuth during polar alignment. Any ideas?

#2 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney , Australia

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

i use it with my QHY8 , but I autoguide so its really ok for car travel not airplane bacause I have a guidescope and guide camera as well, so I use the normal tripod.. but how would you seat the mount though, if you did not???cant really see it on a camera tripod

#3 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the reply Seeker. Yeah, I'm scratching my head over that too. I guess I could check the steel tripod In my baggage but it is kind of heavy. I could carry on the eq head in a backpack (with no counter weights). Maybe I will stumble on an old lighter weight aluminum cg5 tripod that will work.

#4 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Skylab

• Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

Yes.

Mine is an older CG5 with dual 6V the stepper motors.

I've recently had a ShoestringAstronomy autoguider port added to the G5 module and plan when the clouds and night time rains finally go away and the nights are not as chilly start using it as a camera platform for wide angle patrol stuff and for the platform for the Ad2all 300mm f2.8 + 40D and I'll be autoguiding it via a converted 50mm finderscope and a SSAG (or maybe that old ST4 I bought recently).

It's nice easily portable arrangement that I can put in the back of the 4x4 for when I go on holidays or just head to a local fairly dark park that's only about 1 hr away.

#5 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

Did the early ASGT mounts come with a light aluminium tripod?

If so it might be quite easy to find someone with one of these who will do a swap.

Otherwise it might be quite easy to make a plywood mount; a piece of thick ply with a hole cut in it will take the mount, with a plate with a bolt to hold it on. The azimuth peg could just be a bolt.

For use with a camera you may not even need the counterweight shaft, that would allow a really short tripod.

Chris

#6 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

I've seen older cg5's for sale with the flat aluminum style legs. Not sure if the attachment to the eq head is the same as the asgt though. I'm basically trying to use this mount like a vixen photoguider except that it will also have goto and autoguiding capability. I also plan to use a 50mm finderscope as a guidescope when using a 200mm lens or even a 70mm refractor when traveling out west which I do a couple if times per year. Primary duty will be for visual with a C8 and a 4 inch refractor.

#7 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

The Vixen Hal 110/130 tripods make for a very stable platform and are a little more compact and lightweight compared to the CG5 tripods. A used HAL 110 might be ideal, since they're a little shorter than the HAL 130's. I have the Vixen Photoguider tripod which is a very compact tripod, but I don't think it's available separately from the whole mount. You might check with Vixen Optics about that.

I think the CG5 head would make a great wide field imaging mount using 200mm and less focal length.

Patrick

#8 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hey Patrick,

Will the HAL tripods fit the cg5 asgt without modification? I do have a vixen porta II but the celestron head wouldn't fit.

#9 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

Will the HAL tripods fit the cg5 asgt without modification?

Yes, fully interchangeable. Been there, done that. Make sure the tripod is the one for the GP-GP2, not the Sphinx...I think that one is a little different.

Patrick

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics