Photo

Has Pegasus Optics Gone Out of Business?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Emails and calls to John Hall's site at Pegasus Optics reveal no answers and no email address being current. Has John closed shop? He sure built some very good mirrors in his time. Bob

#2 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

Not sure, although I did have a transaction with John several months ago. But at that point he was only selling what mirrors he had in stock and didn't seem interested in doing anything custom (blamed it on the increased price of Pyrex and long lead times to get it).

This indeed would be sad news if it turns out John has turned the key and shut the shop. I've heard him referred to as the "Grand Daddy" of today's mirror makers (Zambuto, Swayze, among others) as he helped them get to where they are today.

Take care,

#3 Astro Sky

Astro Sky

• Loc: Iowa, Louisiana, USA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Talked him on cell phone 2 weeks ago,quote price on 20" f/3.6. No he not gone out of business.
Maybe on vacation.

James
Astro Sky Co.

#4 RobTeeter

RobTeeter

Vendor (Teeter's Telescopes)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Rockaway, NJ

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

Wow, I'm surprised he quoted something custom, especially something THAT custom. Even Zambuto isn't keen on going sub-F/4, so it's surprising to hear John Hall quoting out a mirror that large and fast. More power to him! :grin:

Glad to hear he's still kickin' out glass.

Take care,

#5 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

That surprises me as well. In the past, he did not ever seem interested in dropping below f/4.
He does do a bit of traveling most years.

#6 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

John Hall has an 18" cellular mirror I am kind of interested in but attempts to call his business number or cell number are not effective. I am surprised that at least his cell number is not connecting with him? I too am surprised that he would consider making a mirror sub f/4? Bob

#7 Mark Peterman

Mark Peterman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

This thread is a little old but wanted to say that I sent my mirror (12") to him for testing just yesterday. He quoted about three weeks to refigure if needed.

#8 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

This thread is a little old but wanted to say that I sent my mirror (12") to him for testing just yesterday. He quoted about three weeks to refigure if needed.

Mark, That is great news. You might want to let him know about the phone numbers. I have since satisfied my needs optically but had wondered why I couldn't get a response last year. Glad he is still up and running. Thanks or the update. Bob

#9 Mark Peterman

Mark Peterman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

John finished refiguring my mirror and it left for the coater today.

He finished the job, from testing to telling me it was finished, in exactly three weeks.

Can't wait to get it back.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics