6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Cox

Michael Cox

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Barstow, CA

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

Hello:

Today UPS delivered an IOptron MiniTower Pro Mount that I ordered from OPT in San Diego. After opening the mount case the only name on the mount are the words MiniTower. The tripod legs sure aren't 2" which is what OPT states are the leg size and the picture of the tripod looks more like the MiniTower instead of the MiniTower Pro at least as much as I can determine. I have tried to locate additional photo's of the Pro Mount online and I can't see any that show its name being displayed clearly to determine if I have the wrong mount. Based on the available online pictures, I am not able to see any real difference between the mounts except that the MiniTower Pro Mount appears to have larger writing but I can not determine what it says. So I need some help, did I receive the wrong mount? There is a huge difference in price between the MiniTower and MiniTower Pro mounts and I am doing a slow burn tonight thinking I was sent the cheaper mount for the price of the Pro Mount. Does anyone have the Pro Version and what are the name or markings on this mount. Also, the mount did not come with any directions and I had to download and print them from the IOptron site, the photo's in the directions did not show the mounts name so I was not able to verify if it was the correct mount.
My plan is to call OPT in the morning and discuss this issue with them but would appreciate any feedback from any IOptron Pro Mount users including any photo's that would help me determine which mount I have.

Thanks

Michael

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Micheal.. i have both mounts and the name on the plastic side cover for the minitower is just that (minitower).. on the pro version it says minitower pro and the letters are embosed(raised) and coloured in gold.. the minitowers letters are not raised and are black in colour.
I hope this helps although it sound as tho they haver made a mistake and sent you a minitower.
cheers. Graham.

#3 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Micheal...... i forgot to mention.. the tripod for the pro certainly has 2inch legs and is very well built.
As for an operating manual, no they dont supply one. You have done the correct thing by downloading one.
cheers again.
Graham.

#4 Michael Cox

Michael Cox

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

Graham:

Thanks for the information. Based on what you described, it looks like they sent me the wrong mount. The lettering on the mount says MiniTower and is in small black lettering. Will contact OPT in the morning and have them ship the correct mount and get directions on returning the MiniTower.

Again, thanks for your help. Cloudy Nights is the best and the people here are the greatest.

Michael

#5 letimotif

letimotif

No Complaints

• Loc: Actually, right here.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:31 AM

Sorry Opt mixed up your order. They are good folks, so I'm sure they'll make it right.

#6 Michael Cox

Michael Cox

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

letimotif:

You are correct, I am sure it was just a shipping error on their part. I was on cloud 9 until I realized that OPT had sent the wrong mount. Also, I was a little upset since the cost between the MiniTower and the MiniTower Pro is no small amount. Just did not want the hassle of having to contact OPT and arrange for the return of the mount. I have dealt with OPT for many years and I would say they have always made it right and service has been top notch.
My hope is that they still have the mount I ordered in stock. I know nothing related to shipping can be done until Monday but was wanting to try out the new mount since our weather has been very good here this past week, no clouds, little to no winds, and we have cooled off from 112 degrees down to 101 degrees. Late next week, we expect the return of thunder storms along with the associated humidity and hot temps making any outside activity including viewing not very appealing.

Michael

#7 biz

biz

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:11 AM

Micheal..
You are welcome for the info and im glad i was of some help to you. Please let me know when its all sorted and you get to use it... I would like to know you views on the mount.
cheers.
Graham.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics