Pier adapter for CGEM

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kevc

kevc

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island NY

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

I am building a concrete pier for my cgem and need to find the right adapter to mount it. The only one I've found is from Dans Piers at $500 is a bit steep. Any others out there? Or any way to use what is already on the tripod? Thanks

#2 mak7

mak7

Messenger

• Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

kevc,
An aquaintence had this fellow make an adapter plate for his observatory pier for his CGEM. I have only seen photos but it looked quite good. I'll PM you a link to pictures.
Brad

http://sites.google....llemachine/Home

#3 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

For about $80 you can buy the Orion Extension for Atlas Mounts (also fits the CGEM perfectly). Take the bottom piece off and throw it away then sink the rest of the extension tube into the concrete leaving about 5" sticking out. The top part comes off and bolts to the bottom of the CGEM and on its side it has 3 side bolts that allow it to attach to the extension tube. This allows you to remove the mount easily and still use it with a tripod at any time or leave it attached to the pier. That is what I would do if I was building a permanent pier for mine. Simple and fairly cheap.

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

Update - Orion has that extension pier for sale as a cosmetic second for only $59.

#5 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:02 AM

Hey Kevin!
You should check out these.
http://www.altairast...&cat=275&page=1
http://www.opticalsu...unt_plates.html
The Optical Supports is the one I am waiting on. The guy who runs the shop says he is doing another production run within the next couple of weeks, so the wait should only be maybe ~4-5weeks. and it is a great product. If you order one he will definitely get the process going soon. he is still going to build mine if no-one else orders one, but if someone else does order one, it takes the pressure off him having to buy all the stock for only one person's order...
(I can sympathize with him being a very small business needing to put out money for only a small return at a time..)
Not trying to make you buy that one so I can get mine quicker..LOL

I went with this one so that I can leave the one piece on the mount, and then bolt it to the other.meaning the PA should be nearly perfectly aligned with the previous mounting every time you use it..
So if you spend one night getting your PA setup VERY well..every time you go out after, you should be able to line it up so it is exactly where it was last time.make sense.. :tonofbricks:

Good luck!

#6 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

• Loc: Minisink, NY, USA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

Update - Orion has that extension pier for sale as a cosmetic second for only $59.

Does anyone know what the bottom plate on this pier extension looks like? Does it have enough stock to drill holes and attach it to a pier plate?

Thanks
Dan in NY

#7 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

Dan, that picture on the Orion site is showing the extension tube upside down. So what you see is the bottom. It is thick enough to drill holes and mount it down to something else but I am not sure that would be very stable. It is made so the center part you see goes down into the tripod and attaches to the main bolt that goes through the middle of the tripod. If you tried to just drill a few holes around the edges and mount it to another plate that could work too. I can take a picture of the plate removed from the extension tube and give you some dimensions if you are really interested.

#8 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Thanks Lane -

Your post and a chance for me to see a CGEM up close clarify this part for me. If you get a chance and could PM me the measurements it would be appreciated.

Dan in NY

#9 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:24 AM

Here is a sideview of the bottom piece of the pier. The larger disk is 5/8ths of an inch thick aluminum and the smaller disk is 1/2 inch thick. There are 3 small threaded holes around the edge of the larger disk which is how it attaches to the inside of the pier. And a larger threaded hole that goes all the way through the center of both disks.

Attached Files

#10 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:31 AM

Here is a view of the back of the larger disk the part that would be inside the pier. After looking at it I realized you could reverse the disk and put the side with the protruding smaller disk inside the pier, which would leave this nice flat surface on the bottom of the pier. Making it easy to drill some holes and secure the pier to three bolts embedded in a concrete pier.

The width of the larger disk is 3 & 5/8"
The width of the smaller disk is 1 & 1/8"

Attached Files

#11 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Lane -

Thanks so much. I have been looking for a method to attach a CGEM to my old and stable CGE tripod. The fact I can reverse the bottom plate helps a lot.

Dan in NY

#12 Locoweed

Locoweed

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Here is the adapter I made for the CGEM I had. Only tools I used were a saber saw, grinder, drill press, files, a tap & welder.

Started with this

Attached Files

#13 Locoweed

Locoweed

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

This is what I ended up with.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics