S&T Skygazer's Almanac

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Your yearly Skygazer's Almanac is a godsend for me. I use it all the time.
Nice work on that - it's set up just right, easy to use, and a real time saver.

Good job! :D

Just changed the subject title to make it reflect the subject matter a bit better.... ;) -- Steph/mod

#2 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:43 AM

It is rather a handy item, isn't it? They do a lovely job with it.

#3 auriga

auriga

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

S&T has a great many positives, so much so that I have purchased the DVD set of all issues. I've been a subscriber for decades.

I have misgivings about the editors' writing style (the current editorial uses "reference" as a verb), some of the equipment reviews, the dumbing down of article titles, and the garish covers.

Yet by and large it is a remarkably good magazine for an amateur avocation. It provides accurate information on range of aspects of amateur astronomy, from the position of Saturn's moons tao the latest in digital astronomy. Charles Wood's column, now sadly reduced to alternate months, and Sue French's column, are superb. SA 2000 and PSA are outstanding achievements.

Unfortunately in the transition from a family-owned corporation to a more commercially oriented corporation, many of the best editors left or assumed adjunct roles. I was sorry to see this.

Bill Meyers

#4 auriga

auriga

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

S&T has a great many positives, so much so that I have purchasdd the DVD set of all issues. I've been a subscriber for decades.

I have misgivings about the editors' writing style (the current editorial uses "reference" as a verb), some of the equipment reviews, the dumbing down of article titles, and the garish covers.

Yet by and large it is a remarkably good magazine for an amateur avocation. It provides accurate information on range of aspects of amateur astronomy, from the position of Saturn's moons tao the latest in digital astronomy. Charles Wood's column, now sadly reduced to alternate months, and Sue French's column, are superb. SA 2000 and PSA are outstanding achievements.

Unfortunately in the transition from a family-owned corporation to a more commercially oriented corporation, many of the best editors left or assumed adjunct roles. I was sorry to see this.

Bill Meyers

#5 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Thanks -- I use it all the time, too. Both for my job as editor at S&T and to plan my own observing sessions.

Credit this one to Roger Sinnott, grandmaster of stellar cartography, astronomical data, and visual presentation. I've taken over most of the jobs that Roger used to do, but I'm terrified of the Skygazer's Almanac. So Roger will be doing it (from retirement) as long as he's willing.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

#6 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

i'm going to show my age... and the city i am from... the S&T Skygazer's Almanac was originally a publication from the Baltimore Astronomical Society, which published it through the Maryland Science Center, in Baltimore... the rights to it were sold to S&T... i am going back about 35 years here!

#7 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

Charles Wood's column, now sadly reduced to alternate months...

Fortunately for moonwatchers, this is incorrect. S&T made a move in this direction, but apparently thought better of it. Charles Wood's column appears monthly - something I sincerely hope will not change.

#8 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

I agree, the Stargazer's Almanac is quite useful.

. . .

i'm going to show my age... and the city i am from... the S&T Skygazer's Almanac was originally a publication from the Baltimore Astronomical Society, which published it through the Maryland Science Center, in Baltimore... the rights to it were sold to S&T... i am going back about 35 years here!

...helpwanted

Has the Skygazer's Almanac changed much since it inception at the Baltimore Astronomical Society?

#9 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

Fortunately for moonwatchers, this is incorrect. S&T made a move in this direction, but apparently thought better of it. Charles Wood's column appears monthly - something I sincerely hope will not change.

The information is correct, at least for the time being. Starting in September, we're alternating Exploring the Solar System with Exploring the Moon. I think we've neglected planetary observing in recent years, and this will give a chance to correct it. I particularly liked the introductory article, on SEB disappearances, by Tom Dobbins.

In the ideal world, if we could publish unlimited pages, we'd run both every month.

Tony Flanders

#10 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

I think we've neglected planetary observing in recent years, and this will give a chance to correct it.

A laurel, and hearty thanks on behalf of all of us planetary observers!

#11 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

The information is correct, at least for the time being. Starting in September, we're alternating Exploring the Solar System with Exploring the Moon. I think we've neglected planetary observing in recent years, and this will give a chance to correct it. I particularly liked the introductory article, on SEB disappearances, by Tom Dobbins.

In the ideal world, if we could publish unlimited pages, we'd run both every month.

Tony Flanders

In a perfect world, I'd read both columns back to back each month and have no complaints, of course. I agree that planetary observing has not had a fair share of coverage in far too long, so this strikes me as a very good compromise.

#12 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

Tony,
How soon do you guys expect to be shipping the DVD set? I'm very excited about that (my wife ordered it for me - wotta gal!). Also, very cool that you're including a reprint of the November 1941 issue as a bonus!
A trip to the library to make copies of old articles is a 100 mile round-trip proposition for me. This DVD collection is the answer to many of my research problems.

#13 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

The DVD collection is shipping now!

#14 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

it's the same as when the Balto Astro Society printed it many years ago!

#15 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

The DVD collection is shipping now!

WOOHOO!!

#16 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

helpwanted...

Thank you for the reply about the history of the Stargazer Almanac.

Now the S&T Gang can continue. :p

#17 NightSkyGuy

NightSkyGuy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

since I was on the S&T staff in 1983 when that transition was made away from the old Graphic Ephemeris (as it was known back then), I'd like to chime in and say that the current version is a vast improvement. yes, the presentation geometry is basically the same, but Roger Sinnott's version added several significant enhancements.

one, of course, was the use of color. second, Roger subdivided the grid using precisely spaced dots, instead of lines, to demarcate each day (vertically) and 5-minute intervals (horizontally). third, various Moon symbols were added to show the cycle of phases. fourth, the year's key celestial events were listed by date in the margin. and finally, the SGA is now available for three latitudes: 50°N, 40°N, and 30°S.

#18 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

I just got a mail notification that my DVD set should ship ~8/18.
Too cool!

#19 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

Ummm...... this thread is about the Skygazer's Almanac, not the DVD set. :poke: There are other threads for that. :grin:

Da Mean Ol' Mod ;)

#20 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

Auriga introduced them into the discussion in post #3, so they're fair game. IIRC, the original title of this thread had nothing to do with the Skygazer's Almanac.

#21 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

• Administrators

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, well, I was offline for a few days so couldn't smack anyone before now, and the subject in the meantime has mostly been returned to what it was supposed to be about (after I changed it from your original somewhat ambiguous title to match the content of your post :grin:). So howzabout we keep it thataway? :poke: I think the other DVD threads are old enough now that you can start a new one if'n you want, though.

So....how 'bout that Skygazer's Almanac, folks? ;)

#22 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

I use it often.

#23 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

I had a software which could produce the hourglass curves of the Skygazers almanac... but for the life of me cannot remember its name... anyone used it before?

#24 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• Loc: Clarks Summit, PA

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Is it this the one?

Planetary, Lunar, and Stellar Visibility

http://www.alcyone-ephemeris.info/

#25 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

it's not it but certainly this is a cool program! thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics