• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

The new active region has been putting on a show yesterday and today!

DS 60mm Maxscope, LXD75, 21-7mm Zhumell
H-alpha sketch created scopeside with black Strathmore Artagain paper, white Conte’ crayon and pencil, Derwent charcoal pencil, black oil pencil.

I wanted to zoom in on a feature instead of doing a full disk or prominence sketch, so chose active region 11092 as my target. The bright line of plage had caught my eye, and together with the prominent sunspot near the end of it, it created quite a scene.

Here's the full report if anyone is interested: http://pcwobservator.../29/noaa-11092/

Attached Files

#2 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

Erica,
Wow!
What a detailed solar sketch. Really captures the drama of this activity on the sun.
Great observing report and link (space weather) on your web page-very interesting.
Thank you for posting this.

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

Erika,

A wonderful and highly detailed observation of the new active region (NOAA 11092). You have recorded the sunspot group (umbra/penumbra), filaments, plages, and prominences very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

Thank you both for the kind comments. It's very challenging to sketch active regions in h-alpha, but with each sketch, I'm hoping to see more improvement. Looking forward to putting it to the test as we get closer to the next solar maximum. :)

#5 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

Really nice!

The sun has had so many intricate and fascinating features lately, it's become my favorite star.

#6 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• Loc: Franklin Massachusetts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

What a fantastic sketch Erika You have outdone yourself again. I thought you might like to know my 9y/o daughter tries to copy your sun sketches in your book she read the sun part of it for science last year ........ps my 9 y/o daughter loves your jedi comment :waytogo: she also thinks there should be a graemlin with a lightsaber too.

#7 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• Administrators

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thank you both. :)

Happy birthday, Charles! That's so cool about your daughter. Make sure she knows she can contact me if she if needs any help with solar sketching. The only thing better than doing the solar sketches is being able to share it and sketching ideas with others. :jump:

As for the lightsaber...here you go! :jedi:

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

Erika,

Another beautiful close in solar sketch from a very talented artist. Always a pleasure to see your work.

Frank :)

#9 chascar

chascar

Messenger

• Loc: Franklin Massachusetts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the Birthday greeting and wait til my oldest sees the lightsaber. Just wanted to say nice sketch on ASOD Gem of lyra as well. My oldest is definately in awe :jedi: Also reviewing Astronomical Sketching for my clubs news letterwill forward to you when it comes out... :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics