does anybody make this

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

My cgem was getting harder and harder to adjust for polar alignment. I took the head off the tripod and foung al. shavings from the adjuster bolts wearing the mount holes. I cleaned it up and made me a plastic spacer out of a milk jug. It is so much easier to adjust now even when the mounted is tightened down tight. No longer mves in jerks but is a smooth motion.Does anyone make a teflon spacer for the cgem mount or does one have to cut one out on thier own? I have not checked to see if I have introduced any cone error with a milk jug spacer, as it pobably varies in thickness, but a manufactured teflon one would be fine.

#2 Adam E

Adam E

Apollo

• Loc: Edgewood, NM

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

You can get Teflon sheets, disc, rods, whatever from places like McMaster Carr and cut any size/shape gasket or spacer that you want.

#3 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Maybe even one of those clear CD spacers that come in some CD stack packs?

#4 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

When I set my scope on a wedge I use an actual CD.

#5 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

Your supermarket may have teflon coated baking sheet, I've used it on all sorts of things where I need low friction. It works well on Dob Bearings.

Or just not have the central bolt quite so tight,as long as it's nipped up the tripod should be rigid.

Chris

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

If shavings are coming off your installation bolts, you are using WAY too much torque. It just needs to get snug. Once the joint is closed, the job is done. Further snugging the bolt just loads up the threads. And it sounds like you may already be galling them. That's really bad. If you strip a bolt hole in your mount, you'll really be sad. Lose the gorilla touch.

-Rich

#7 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:29 AM

I would loosen the bolt when doing an all star polar align. there was always a sticktion problem. The head alwys moved in jerks. It is now easier even when the bolt is semi tight and moves silky smooth. Should have done it when I got it. celestron should include a teflon ring with the mount. No longer need to buy big knobs for it!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics