Seeing 3/5
Transparency Above Average
10" f/4.8 Newt Dob
Burgess Binoviewer w/1.9x OC
Orion ED-2 22mm eyepieces
104x, 0.5 deg TFOV, 2.4mm exit pupil
Apodizing mask
Filters: Blue 80-A, Baader Moon & Sky Glow, and none

SEBn obvious but not as dark as NEB. Whitish oval in NEB near meridian. Notch in n edge of NEB, p the oval. Dark concentrations/disturbances in NEB. At least three obvious and fairly equally spaced light blue-gray festoons in EZ. STB dark. SSTB and SPR easy. NTZ seemed brighter, wider and more obvious toward p limb. NNTB and NPR apparent.

Mike

Attached Files

#2 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

Mike,
Thats a nice sketch. You captured the NEB ,SEB, festoons and a very large disturbance in NEB (looks almost GRS size).Very interesting.

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

Jim,

I'm still trying to get the knack of sketching. I hope the oval wasn't somewhat exaggerated in my sketch. But it certainly was very large and obvious. A mere glance at the image showed the oval to my wife and me.

Mike

#4 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

Great drawing.

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

All I need now is a better graphics editor! Windows Paint just doesn't cut the mustard. :grin:

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

Note: This observation was for 7-31-10, NOT 7-13-10. Am I becoming dyslexic? No, I suppose that's what I get for staying up most of the night looking through a telescope. :crazy: Sorry for any confusion caused by this.

Mike

#7 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

very detailed jup sketch, the neb seemed much more colo :cool:rful to me the other night a deeper orange/brown then the last couple of opposition seasons thanks for posting.

#8 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

Mike,

An excellent observation of Jupiter. You have recorded a good amount of detail over the jovian globe. The large white rift within the North Equatorial Belt (NEB) is interesting and very prominent. I have seen this rift in images posted on the Solar System Imaging and Processing forum on CN although smaller in size. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

I adjusted the levels in your fine image and blurred it a little as well. The new image shows all of the details that you recorded. I hope that you like it.

Excellent image editors are available for all processing needs. Photoshop is the industry standard. Photoshop is an impressive image editing software but it has a steep learning curve and is very expensive. Photoshop Elements has the majority of features required by the majority of users and is much less expensive than it's big brother, Photoshop. Another excellent image editor is Corel Paint Shop Pro.

http://www.adobe.com.../?promoid=BPDEK
http://www.adobe.com...photoshopelwin/
http://www.corel.com...51#tabview=tab0

GIMP is a very powerful image editing software and it is free! You have to get used to using it's many features but it is worth it.

http://www.gimp.org/

Pixelmator is an excellent image editor for the Macintosh. It is powerful and quick to load.

http://www.pixelmator.com/

I hope that the above suggestions help.

Carlos

Attached Files

#9 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Carlos,

Thanks for your comments and your usual fine enhancement work. It tried to do as much as I could with the meager tools I have here. I could not find any way to blur or blend the image on the computer, though I did what I could with a drawing stump in the field.

The large white rift within the North Equatorial Belt (NEB) is interesting and very prominent. I have seen this rift in images posted on the Solar System Imaging and Processing forum on CN although smaller in size.

I'm learning that it can be difficult to sketch the relative size of details accurately, though I'm trying to produce as realistic a sketch as possible.

Photoshop is an impressive image editing software but it has a steep learning curve and is very expensive.

Yes, tell me about it. Maybe there is a good clone out there?

Photoshop Elements has the majority of features required by the majority of users and is much less expensive than it's big brother, Photoshop. Another excellent image editor is Corel Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks much. I'll investigate your suggestions and try to come up with better graphics tools for next time.

Clear Skies,
Mike

#10 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Jim,

I'm still trying to get the knack of sketching. I hope the oval wasn't somewhat exaggerated in my sketch. .....

Mike

I did not think that at all.
When I was new to astronomy,I observed Jupiter in 1995. There was a large disturbance in the NEB which I did mistake for the red spot (forgetting that my view was upside down) I never saw anything that large again in the NEB. For years I have been thinking I was hallucinating. Based on your proportions on the belts and attention to detail I doubt you exaggerated
I think your sketch is very good.

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

Jim,

Thank you very much. I'm getting the impression that many of these surface features can develop, change, disappear relatively quickly.

I have some old sketches of Mars and Jupiter I made back in the early '70s when I was observing with a 4.25" f10 Edmund Reflector. I might post them just for fun. I also have a few drawings of sunspots. (There were a lot more back then.)

Happy Birthday!

Clear and Steady Skies,
Mike

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

Mike,

Your Jupiter sketch looks fantastic. Keep posting your wonderful sketches. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#13 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

Frank,

Thank you much. But I still have a lot to learn. My attempts at sketching Jupiter hardly compare to the Moon sketches in your gallery. Very nice work! :grin:

A friend did walk by while I had the Jupiter drawing on my computer screen, and he asked me if it was a photo I took through my telescope. :cool: He must need new glasses...

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics