• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Porsche0911

Porsche0911

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Kamloops BC, Canada

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

I can connect the scope and activate the softwase but I can't mone the scope from my laptop. I am using Win 7 with a RS-232 to USB adapter bit I will be running it on my older laptop running XP Pro.
Can aqnyone give me some advise?

#2 KyleROwens

KyleROwens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:00 PM

What software have you been using?

I use Stellarium to control my Celestron scope, it's free and a great bit of software.

You can find a page about setting up a new scope here here

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

I can connect the scope and activate the softwase but I can't mone the scope from my laptop. I am using Win 7 with a RS-232 to USB adapter bit I will be running it on my older laptop running XP Pro.
Can aqnyone give me some advise?

Are you sure you can't? Did you bump the rate up on the HC? Have you been able to do an alignment with NexRemote?

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

I'm not familiar with Stellarium (keep meaning to load it up ... maybe later tonight) so I'll use some different but also free s/w as an example.

The example needs 3 pieces ...

Ascom (the platform)
Celestron unified driver (the device driver for Ascom)
Cartes du Ciel or the newer name Skycharts 3.0

Install the first two pieces, reboot the PC.
Install Skycharts and run it.
- under Telescope there's a Control Panel.
- there is a Select and Configure/Properties selection (Celestron unified driver, Nexstar 6SE and the comm port number that your USB-serial adapter comes up on)

Once this is all setup you should be able to make a connection to the scope (Connect at the bottom of the Ascom Telescope Interface dialog box) and the red box should turn green. If it doesn't there is a comm problem between your PC and the scope. Either the comm port number is wrong, the comm port isn't working, the cable is wrong or broken (you do have a real Celestron HC serial cable right?) or the HC serial port isn't working. Verify that the comm port number is correct using the Device Manager. To troubleshoot the rest you'll need to swap stuff (PC, cable, HC).

Something like 90% of the time it's the wrong comm port number, 9% it's the USB-serial adapter (some are compatible, some aren't, the only way to know is to swap it out for a different brand or maybe used different USB drivers), the other 1% of the time it's the cable or the HC.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics