Airline portable goto alt/az mount?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

• Loc: PA

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

Is there anything available like this for mounting nothing much bigger than an st80? Must be goto.

#2 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

Something like this? http://www.telescope...actor-telescope Maybe put it on a different tripod.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

Just about any of the small Alt Az goto mounts (Meade, Celestron, Ioptron) will fit into your checked luggage just fine. The key is the length of the tripod legs (and overall weight if you're trying to get away with just a single piece of luggage). A small aluminum tripod with an adapter on top to handle the base of the goto mount is probably your best choice. Smaller camera tripods are not likely going to provide the stability you'll need. Something with boxier or more rectangular legs is probably closer to the mark. The dimensions will probably be dictated by the size of your checked luggage.

I found a few years ago that the AT Voyager tripod could be disassembled so the longest piece was about 18" and that would just fit in my largest rolling type suitcase. I don't currently have a small goto mount but I'm seriously considering going that route for when I want to travel with my C6 again.

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

SLT- cheap one here. The tripod will need to be packed with check in baggage, but head and HC will easily fit in carry on luggage. Understand it eats AA batterys , so a 12volt battery or AC adapter should be considered.

Can't comment too much on GOTO, tried mine once and Sky align did not align, I need to carefully read instructions next time. :grin:

Another alternative would be a UA microstar with dsc encoders and computer.

#5 Domerman

Domerman

Just Lucky, I Guess.

• Loc: PA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Anyone know if this could be taken as a carry-on on a plane?

http://www.optcorp.c...d=439-277-12639

It would be nice to have the tripod legs in the same case.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to include the link. :foreheadslap:

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

The SLT fork and base package is certainly small enough for carry on, heck even the smaller SE is ok too. The larger SE (6/8) mount might be a bit of a stretch, especially with the C8. Small thin cases would be the way to go here. An even more interesting option than the SLT is the smaller LCM mount. It appears to have all the same features as the SLT mount but without much of the arm.

#7 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

Good News Steve,

It can be done. Read my report below.

traveling to Hawaii with a Cube Pro

Attached Files

#8 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:30 AM

I've taken to traveling recently with non-GoTo Atl-Az mounts, with the only reasons for not choosing GoTo being: -

a] "Cheap" (often plastic housings) GoTo systems seem unlikely to survive being transported in (international) checked luggage - I'm happy to be corrected here

b] No power at my dark sky destinations - Is there power where you're going? Or, is the plan to fly with power, as well?

So for me, I decided to go with SV-M2 and Discmount DM-4 mounts + Gitzo 3-Series CF tripods instead. The mounts and columns easily fit and will survive either as checked or cabin luggage and the collapsed tripods fit diagonally into checked luggage cases.

Just something to think about.,

Regards,

skybsd

#9 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Here's an option for push-to. It's actually easier to use and faster than goto. http://www.deepspace...p?Q=TREX_Mounts

The tripod is a standard size, but the mount head is small but can handle any load. A 3/8" adapter is available so that you could use a different type of tripod as well.

Ed Thomas
Deep Space Products

Attached Files

#10 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

I've taken to traveling recently with non-GoTo Atl-Az mounts, with the only reasons for not choosing GoTo being: -

a] "Cheap" (often plastic housings) GoTo systems seem unlikely to survive being transported in (international) checked luggage - I'm happy to be corrected here

b] No power at my dark sky destinations - Is there power where you're going? Or, is the plan to fly with power, as well?

So for me, I decided to go with SV-M2 and Discmount DM-4 mounts + Gitzo 3-Series CF tripods instead. The mounts and columns easily fit and will survive either as checked or cabin luggage and the collapsed tripods fit diagonally into checked luggage cases.

Regards,

skybsd

Hi skybsd,

Good questions and defintely food for thought. I often travel without GOTO - usually using my SV MG mount.

To answer your questions, the Cube Pro only weighs 8 pounds - I actually had it in my carry-on bag. I used laptop batteries for the Cube (note the small bag on the tripod). Worked great - lasted all night.

#11 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Here's an option for push-to. It's actually easier to use and faster than goto. http://www.deepspace...p?Q=TREX_Mounts

The tripod is a standard size, but the mount head is small but can handle any load. A 3/8" adapter is available so that you could use a different type of tripod as well.

Ed Thomas
Deep Space Products

That's a beautiful looking mount Ed! A little too pricey for me though. I'll just have to be content with aluminum tubes and tripods for now! :bawling:

#12 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hello Preston,
Good to hear from you again.,

Regards,

skybsd

Hi skybsd,

Good questions and defintely food for thought. I often travel without GOTO - usually using my SV MG mount.

To answer your questions, the Cube Pro only weighs 8 pounds - I actually had it in my carry-on bag. I used laptop batteries for the Cube (note the small bag on the tripod). Worked great - lasted all night.

That's neat - do you mind posting some more details on how you connected it all up together, there?

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

#13 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

Ed Thomas
Deep Space Products

Good to know a US dealer now is offering the T-Rex. :cool:

#14 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hello Preston,
Good to hear from you again....

....That's neat - do you mind posting some more details on how you connected it all up together, there?

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

Go to the link below and scroll about half way down and you'll see the components. It is amazingly simple to put together! :jump:

traveling to Hawaii with a Cube Pro

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics