Photo

Sketches and Story Around the Lagoon (M8)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Our inspiration page (linked from the site below my signature) has a new story and two sketches of the Lagoon. Go there if interested in either the sketches or the story or both.

The amazing thing is that the observation of the Lagoon (not our first by any means) was first with a 12.5 inch Dob and a 35 mm Panoptic. There were some limits due to the moderate haze, but it was still beautiful.

On the Dob we piggy-back an 80-mm refractor but this time I fitted it with the MallinCAM Hyper Color astro video camera. Using a modest setting, I could see a wide field live view of the Lagoon in color, which makes the object simply explode on the screen. Even though the sketch time was abbreviated, I still had to use 8 colors or so to capture the basics....which is truly amazing with just 3.5 inches of aperture. Such is the wonder of using astro video tools and then sketching from a screen.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Roland,

Wonderful inspirational read and fantastic sketches of M8.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

Roland,

An excellent and inspirational observation of the famous Lagoon Nebula (M8). You have recorded the nebulosity very nicely in your fine rendering. It is amazing that technology has allowed us to view the beauty of the universe. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

Thank you Carlos and Frank. Glad you enjoyed the sketches and story. When I did the inversion (white to black and black to white) in photoshop on the first EP-based sketch, I did have to enhance it a little. I was afraid the viewers at the site would not be able to see the detail if they were not used to looking at nebulae. Otherwise, nothing is "doctored".

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Roland,

Thanks for your kind comment on my M-7 sketch.
As you know, I don't sketch much of the deep sky but every now and again on a good night I get the urge to try and capture one of these star scenes.

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics