• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

I am considering this tripod for my Takahashi EM-100 mount. Anyone have an opinion on it? Sturdiness? Is the "Jarrah harrwood" option worth the extra $100? Any thoughts are welcome.

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

PJ

I have the non-Jarrah Oberwerk wooden tripod and consider it a very good medium duty tripod. Only weak spot maybe where the legs connect to the hub and where the locking ring connects to the threaded flange which has few nuts and screws which may became loose over time and need to checked on occassion. Other than that , it's a solid setup.

Not familiar with the Tak EM-100 and if it can be attached securely to the 3/8" stud protruding from the removable disk.

Here's a shot of the Oberwerk wooden tripod hub from underneath.

I don't know if the Jarrah option is worth the extra $, but the denser hard wood presumably should add some additional dampening ability. Does look nicer! ;)

Attached Files

#3 MikeCatfin

MikeCatfin

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Pj, I too have the non Jarrah wood tripod and used it with a Teegul alt/az mount and my now gone FC-76. It was as solid as a rock even when fully extended. Wish I never sold that Teegul.

#4 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Thanks guys, I can probably adapt it to my EM-100. I don't mind spending the extra money, but want to make sure it will make for a steady setup. Right now the EM-100 is on a Davis & Sanford Astro600 tripod (one Astro-Physics sells for their 400 mount). Here is a pic:

Attached Files

#5 k5apl

k5apl

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

I have a regular tripod with my 130mm refractor and 2 ea.
counterweights for about 40 lbs total. Its stable for me.
I did relocate the spreader to allow a larger ground foot-
print with the legs not extended as much.
I like it.

Wes

Attached Files

#6 bykhed

bykhed

Viking 1

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

I have this tripod and would caution against having too much weight and torque at the same time. In my case I tried using it with my home-built alt-az mount on a 12" extension column (~12 lbs) and my Intes MN66 (44 inches and ~20 lbs). This proved to be too much for the tripod and the whole thing felt "squirrelly", for lack of a better word. I now use this setup on a Meade Field Tripod.

-Matt

#7 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

PJ,
I have the Oberwerk non-Jarrah wood tripod and I have no complaints about it except (and this, to me, is minor) the rounded points at the end of the legs. Rather than spend the extra money for the Jarrah wood, maybe you should consider the Oberwerk wood surveyor's tripod--heavier, but much sturdier.
Royce

#8 k5apl

k5apl

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

I forgot to mention that I bought a Blem tripod at consider-
able savings. and, I purchased the 'tall' model. That way
I can have height with the leg inserts not extended too far.
Mine came from Big Binoculars...nice guy to deal with.

Wes

#9 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Just noticed the blem tripods are no longer available. Still a good deal at regular price.

#10 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

I have this tripod and would caution against having too much weight and torque at the same time. In my case I tried using it with my home-built alt-az mount on a 12" extension column (~12 lbs) and my Intes MN66 (44 inches and ~20 lbs). This proved to be too much for the tripod and the whole thing felt "squirrelly", for lack of a better word. I now use this setup on a Meade Field Tripod.

-Matt

I've used both of these: the Jarrah wood Oberwerk and the Meade standard "field tripod". I agree with the above assessment . The Meade is much more stable. The Jarrah wood may work for you. This just puts it relatively.
I can't tell from the pic which Tak you have. My FS-102 worked well on a Jarrah wood with a Lapides Teegul by itself, but once loaded with Ha filters and binos, it was not up to the task.

#11 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

I've used both of these: the Jarrah wood Oberwerk and the Meade standard "field tripod". I agree with the above assessment . The Meade is much more stable. The Jarrah wood may work for you. This just puts it relatively.
I can't tell from the pic which Tak you have. My FS-102 worked well on a Jarrah wood with a Lapides Teegul by itself, but once loaded with Ha filters and binos, it was not up to the task.

David,

FS78 refractor, EM-100 mount, 8 lb. counterweight and sometimes add a Coronado SM60 filter.

#12 genethethird

genethethird

Messenger

• Loc: NC

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

I have the standard (not Jarrah) wood model also and have been very happy with it. I removed the cheap carrying strap immediately and put on an old belt. Glad I bought it and I don't think one could do much better for the money when purchasing new (wooden, surveyor-type tripods).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics