Recent Pastel Sketches

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

• Loc: Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

I haven't really been prolific with sketches these days, but I have had a chance to work in pastel a bit more. Here are 3 recent sketches using either white charcoal or Conte pastel on black Strathmore--

This first one is of the thin crescent moon with Earthshine from May 17, 2010, 0230-0330 UT. I cut a circle template from a manila folder and then made the soft Earthshine disc using white charcoal dust and my finger and a chamois to brush it in. Then I took that outside to make the observation using white and black charcoal pencils for the crescent, and chamois, blending stump, vinyl and kneaded erasers to sculpt the Maria in the Earthshine area. This was made with my 8 inch Dob at 48X. Due to glare, I found it difficult to discern Earthshine details that were adjacent to the brilliant crescent--even when I tried to nudge it out of the field. (I really should flock the OTA!)

(Larger sketch)

Attached Files

#2 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

This is a multi-field sketch of the Veil Nebula/Cygnus Loop. I can just barely fit either east or west segment in a single low-power field of view with the Dob, so it was fun to compile a full view of the entire area. It took some patience to ladder step my way from star to star while building up the star field first. I'm always worried that clouds or something else are going to skunk me before I get to the actual object. I used the blending stump and a palette of white to gradually brush in the features while using the star field to position and scale things. I'm not entirely happy with proportions in the southern third of the Eastern Veil. Next time around, I want to dig a lot deeper into focused sketches of each piece...there is so much detail to be found. I used my 8 inch Dob, an Orion Ultrablock filter and switched between 32mm and 25mm Plossls and a 10 mm Pentax XW10. As usual, the at-a-glance view is far more subtle than the sketch.

(Larger sketch)

Attached Files

#3 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

I had a lot of fun with this pastel sketch of the Mars-Venus-Saturn conjunction last night. I really struggled to locate Mercury and finally had to give up--too many cloud ribbons low on the horizon. I think it's pretty handy that sunset colors line up pretty nicely with the Conte pastel pencils I have on hand for standard star colors : )

I used my finger to blend yellow to medium blue to dark blue for the sunset, and then simple plotting of the planets and lunar crescent with white. I did some finger smudging and pencil flicking to try and capture the sparkle around Venus. Once you do that much work on a star point, it's pretty much impossible to finish with a bright white center using the same pastel media. So I used an Elmer's white paint marker to dot the center of Venus later. I used a white vinyl eraser pencil to scribble away the clouds and tree line.

(Larger sketch)

Attached Files

#4 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

I absolutely love the conjuction drawing!
Much better than any photo could capture the view :waytogo:

#5 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

VERY nice, Jeremy! Very nice indeed. I love the detail on your Moon sketch.

#6 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Beautiful work Jeremy !! a WoW moon , and the Veil is so difficult a real challenge. The naked eye drawing is just lovely a great capture by the human camera.

Dee

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Jeremy,

These are all masterpieces.
The whole moon sketch is stunning in captured detail.
Both parts of the Veil would have been more than challenging as 2 seperate sketches.
The naked eye western sky sketch is frosting on a great celestial cake.

Frank :)

#8 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Beerpuddle, Colorado

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

Jeremy, those are gorgeous.

By the way I got an error message, looks to be from 2008, when I tried to view the larger sketch of the Veil.

#9 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

some really great sketches bravo.

#10 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:24 AM

Kris, Faith, Dee, Frank, Rick, Thomas, thanks very much! (and Rick, thanks for catching that link problem too.)

#11 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:04 AM

Jeremy,

These truly show why you are a master. I love them all, but especially like the Veil Nebula. The conjunction is equally pleasing though and it catches a moment in time very well. As always, tremendous job and thank you for sharing them.

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Jeremy,

So nice to see some of your work and what fine drawings, too! I would have missed the planetary/Luna conjunction except for you. :) Your rendering of the Veil Nebula is most impressive. I hear you about the subtleties, but I had a view of it that was almost that bright through a friend's 16" Lightbridge on a dark, transparent night last summer. :cool:

#13 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

Jay and Michael, thanks you :)

Viewing this one from a very dark site with beefier aperture is a deep-sky dream.

#14 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

Jeremy,

Thank you for posting your outstanding observations of Earthshine, the Veil Nebula, and conjunction. Your renderings are both beautiful and accurate. The Earthshine observation is among the best that I have ever seen. The Veil Nebula is a challenge and you have done a great job with this elusive target. The conjunction observation is spectacular! The use of the backdrop of the trees, clouds, and haze adds to the scene. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

#15 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

Jeremy

All three renderings are quite impressive :bow: :bow: :bow:

The light on the crescent moon is surreal yet it captures the reality of the live observation well.

I concur with your difficulty in getting the Veil Nebula in pastels. I have seen it many times in large Newtonian telescopes of 20" ~ 30" with O-3 filters at the Oregon Star Party and have always thought of sketching it. You have inspired me to possibly try it soon but I'll have to get an O-3 filter first. :cool:

You've captured that special feel from the experience of live observation in that conjunction as others said; it transcends what any photograph can show. The gradual gradation in that ethereal sky glow is beautifully rendered here and Venus appears to glow like a live view out of a real window yet in my computer screen!

Thanks for sharing your honest stories behind the artwork as it is encouraging. I look forward to seeing more of your future pastel sketches.

Mark

#16 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

Like all of them, but the conjunction sketch really grabs you. Nicely done.

#17 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

All three are absolutely fantastic. The crescent moon with Earth shine and conjunction renderings are stunning.

#18 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

Carlos, Mark, Roland, Jim, thanks very much!

#19 vennard

vennard

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

I don't really know what adjectives to use, the earthshine moon is, is, beyond adjectives...

#20 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Thanks Vennard, that's actually what I thought about the view through the telescope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics