• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 norden

norden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Norden

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

A sketch from one of my mars obs. A faint but very beautiful galaxy located in the Leo's trio. It appears as a dim streak oriented E-W with considerable long brighter core. The core is very elongated. There is definitely a dense dark lane lying just south of the axis line. The dark lane sharply cuts the core and extends toward the ends of the galaxy. With averted vision, it seems that the galaxy extends out quite far, but the dust lane is not much past the bright core area.

Mikael Anderlund

Attached Files

#2 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

Very realistic sketch! What scope did you use?

#3 norden

norden

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Thanks! I'm glad you like my sketch. I'm using a CPC 1100 Celestron. I very good scope. I'm living in Sweden close to Copenhagen/Malmoe and it's very light polluted so I often go east to the countryside where the sky is clear and dark. This sketch is done under that dark sky. Here is one more sketch from that site. I hope you like it!

Attached Files

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

Mikael,

Welcome to the sketching forum and those are nice sketches of the galaxies in the Leo triplet. Your skies must be pretty good for seeing details in these 3. Nicely done.

Frank :)

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Nordern,

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. You have recorded the Leo Triplet dust lanes and extensions of these galaxies very nicely. I look forward to your future observations. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

#6 norden

norden

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for your nice word of welcome! Yes, sometimes the sky is realy clear here in north, particulary in cold dry air, but as a matter of fact M65 and M66 are a bit too bright in my sketch but I was able to see dust lanes and the extensions of these galaxies very nicely with averted seeing.

Mikael

#7 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Mikael - very good, I hope we get a lot more to see your drawings

Michael

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics