Jupiter Observation (August 5, 2010)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:09 AM

I made an observation of Jupiter on August 5, 2010. I was able to make out a good amount of detail over the jovian disk. I hope that you all like it.

Date (U.T.): August 5, 2010
Time (U.T.): 05:00
L1 320.7*, L2 0.298.9*, L3 129.6*
Diameter (Equatorial): 46.3"
Instrument: 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain
Magnification: 129x and 310x
Filters: None (IL)
Seeing (1-10): 5-7, Antoniadi (I-V): III-II
Transparency (1-6): 4

Notes:
South Polar Region (SPR): Appears dark to dusky and mottled (3-4/10). Small dark (3/10) condensations are noted within it.
South South South Temperate Zone (SSSTZ): Appears shaded (6/10) and thin, but no other detail within.
South South South Temperate Belt (SSSTB): Appears thin and dusky (4/10). Several white (bright, 7/10) ovals are noted within it.
South South Temperate Zone (SSTZ): Appears shaded (6/10), but no other detail is visible within.
South South Temperate Belt (SSTB): Appears thin and dusky (4/10).
South Temperate Zone (STZ): Appears shaded to bright (6-7/10), but no other detail is visible within.
South Temperate Belt (STB): Appears broad and dark to dusky (3-4/10). Several small, dark (3/10) condensations are noted within it.
South Tropical Zone (STrZ): Appears bright (7/10) with no other detail visible within it.
South Equatorial Belt (SEB): Appears a faint pastel reddish-orange color with dull (5/10) streaks noted within it. The northern border of the SEB appears dull to dusky (4-5/10) and irregular.
Equatorial Zone (EZ): The EZ appears to contain a complex network of bluish-gray condensations and streaks (lace-type). Bright (7/10) ovals are noted over the northern portion of the EZ between the prominent bluish-green festoons (3-4/10).
North Equatorial Belt (NEB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) with dark (3/10) condensations noted within it. A bright (7/10) rift is noted to originate over the southern-preceding border of the NEB and curve to continue over it's midsection towards the following limb. The southern border contains bluish-green festoons (3-4/10) which project into the EZ.
North Tropical Zone (NTrZ): Appears bright (7/10) without any other detail visible within it.
North Temperate Belt (NTB): Appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and bisected. The southern component appears to contain dark (3/10), elongated condensations.
North Temperate Zone (NTZ): Appears thin and shaded (6/10).
North North Temperate Belt (NNTB): Appears dusky (4/10) and thin.
North North Temperate Zone (NNNTZ): Appears thin and shaded (6/10).
North North North Temperate Belt (NNNTB): Appears dusky (4/10) and thin.
North North North Temperate Zone (NNNTZ): Appears thin and shaded (6/10).
North Polar Region (NPR): Appears dark to dull (3-5/10) with dusky (4/10) mottling noted within.

A digital image produced in Pixelmator.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

The Galilean satellites Io (I, 5.46m), Callisto (IV, 6.08m), and Ganymede (III, 5.06) are visible are visible, preceding to following.

A digital image produced in Pixelmator.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

very nice sketch of jupiter the neb is very active this year lots of rrifts ovals ect,i wonder if we are just noticing more as there is no seb to gaze at .

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:38 PM

Tommy,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter observation. The answer to your question is both as the South Equatorial Belt (SEB) is typically the more active of the two major belts (as well as containing the Great Red Spot (GRS). The NEB is an active belt that contains many interesting albedo features. Bright elongated rifts as we now observe have been seen in the past (please see my 2007 Jupiter observation below). The NEB is better known for the dark, elongated condensations called rods or barges along it's northern border and the prominent blue festoons along it's southern border. The best of luck observing Jupiter.

Carlos

Attached Files

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Carlos i have often seen barges and dark elongations and festoons hanging out of the neb but last night i observed two white ovals, and a diagonal swiggly rift/storm in the neb and hadn,t seen that before, of course now that jup is putting on a show during the summer at a better altitude then the last two oppositions i think i may just be getting better seeing conditions the last several nights hve been steamy calm muggy like florida and i have been able to stay up till 4am as i,m on summer vacation, anyway best of luck on your observations.

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

Tommy,

I agree that a number of factors are providing everyone with a good view of Jupiter this apparition. I hope that we all continue to enjoy good weather to view the king of the planets.

Carlos

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

Carlos,

Wonderful observation of the King. Like Tommy, I've noticed in sketches and images that the NEB appears more turbulent this apparition, but with fewer prominent festoons extending into the Equatorial Zone.

@ T5--glad you've gotten some stable air for Jovian viewing but we pay for that hot, muggy weather don't we? Summer vacation is almost over for me, too, hopefully the King will give us some good views on into the fall. I am in awe of the number of Jupiter sketches posted on the forum. :bow:

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Carlos,

Excellent Jupiter sketches. I suddenly have gotten very busy and have not been observing as much as I would like too but I do get over here every day to see all the nice sketches like yours above.Just wonderful.

Frank :)

#9 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:34 AM

Carlos, beautiful work as allways! When I look for a certain time to your sketch the clouds seem to moves a little bit to the left or right, like the planet is rotating... Strange thing?

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

Carlos,

:waytogo:, on your very nice sketch :)

:thanx:,

Tom

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

Thank you all for your kind compliments on my latest observation of Jupiter.

I too have noted that the blue festoon along the southern border of the NEB are not as prominent (e.g projecting into the EZ) as in the past. This may have to do with the activity noted within the EZ (e.g. lattice of blue-gray streaks and white ovals).

Jef- I did not produce an animation but it is an interesting effect that you describe.

Carlos

#12 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

I captured an especially prominent blue festoon along the southern border of the North Equatorial Belt. It appears that the blue festoon is at a lower layer of the Jovian atmosphere than the surrounding cloud formations. Here is the image I acquired on Aug 7 2010 at 5:34 AM EDT.

Posted Image

#13 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Beerpuddle, Colorado

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

Carlos- I'm enjoying these sketches very much. I think perhaps I'm enjoying even more that your were able to get some observing time in.

#14 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:47 AM

Icd1080,

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. Your image of Jupiter is excellent. It does show the blue festoons projecting from the southern border of the North Equatorial Belt (NEB). The brightness of the bright (white) ammonia cloud surrounding the festoons (or dark material) does give the illusion of being "deeper" than the surrounding region. The NEB-S blue festoons (also known as Olivarez Blue Features (named after Jose Olivarez (former Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers (ALPO) Jupiter Section Coordinator and Director of the Wichita Omnisphere and Science Center/Chabot Observatory and Science Center)who studied them in detail) represent "hot spots" over the atmosphere of Jupiter. These hot spots are not hotter than other regions of the jovian atmosphere but allow heat from the interior of the planet to exit through them, especially prominent at a wavelength of five microns.

I was fortunate to have been invited to the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in December, 1995 by Glenn Orton (a well known planetary reasearch scientist specializing in the atmosphere of Jupiter and other gas giants) for the arrival of the Galileo spacecraft and entry of the atmospheric probe on December 7, 1995. Donald C. Parker (a well known planetary imager and observer) and I had been following Jupiter visually and obtaining images of it in order to determine the entry point over the atmosphere of Jupiter. This was not an easy feat as we were making these observations/images with Jupiter within five degrees of the Sun! (We normally would not be so risky, but we needed a visual/image confirmation of where the probe would enter the jovian atmosphere. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN POINTING A TELESCOPE NEAR THE SUN AS THIS MAY CAUSE BLINDNESS!). It was very exciting to be sitting with famous scientists (I even got to meet Dr. Carl Sagan!) in the JPL auditorium and wait for the confirmation that the Galileo atmospheric probe had achieved it's goal. Everyone started clapping and some were jumping up and down when we heard that the probe had made it! the probe had managed to enter one of the hot spots (festoons) along the southern border of the NEB and it detected very little water as it descended approximately 93 miles (150 km) below the jovian cloud tops while collecting data for 58 minutes. The Galileo probe entered the jovian atmosphere at a speed of 106,000 miles per hour (170,000 km/hr) while enduring temperatures up to 307 degrees Farenheit (153*C) within the atmosphere (and nearly 10,000 degrees F (~5,500*C) at the entry point) pressures of 230 atmospheres (from a speed of ~29 miles per second (47 km/s) to subsonic speed in less than 2 minutes!). That was fun!

Links:
http://en.wikipedia....here_of_Jupiter
http://www.jpl.nasa....galileo0309.pdf
http://www2.jpl.nasa...opa/062497.html
http://en.wikipedia....eo_(spacecraft)

Carlos

#15 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

Rick,

Thank you for the compliment on my Jupiter observations. I am also glad to have gotten some time to observe considering my very busy schedule. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#16 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

Carlos,

Thanks for relating your experiences with the Galileo probe--a fascinating story. :cool:

#17 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

thanks Carlos, we are lucky to have such an experienced planetary observor as yourself on our forum.

#18 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

Very nice work!

#19 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

Carlos,
Excellent observation and sketch. Your attention to detail is to be commended.

#20 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

Thank you all for the kind compliments on my Jupiter observations and observing skills. I have been very fortunate to have learned the art and science of planetary observation from my mentors (Charles ("Chick") F. Capen (Lowell Observatory), Donald C. Parker, and Jeffrey D. Beish) in the past (and presnt) over a period of forty years. I have also enjoyed many adventures in my planetary journey over time.

I consider myself very fortunate (and blessed) to have found many talented friends on this wonderful forum. I always learn something new from everyone here no matter what level of experience.

The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics