cg5 stops moving

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jerr6

Jerr6

Viking 1

• Loc: chicagoland

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

lastnight when the scope was slewing toward objects close to east hoeizon and zenith i noticed that the motor was going but the scope wasnt. i checked to see if the scope was balanced and it was off , it was setup for the weight of camera. even after i rebalanced it did it one more time. almost like the gears were slipping. anybody else have this prob and what is the fix? thanks for any help !

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

Other than balance, did you make sure that the clutches were tightened sufficiently? Also, did it sound like the motors were laboring? And was it in RA or Dec or both?

David

#3 Jerr6

Jerr6

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

im not sure if it was DEC or RA . seemed like it happened when i wasnt paying attention , i just noticed it wasnt moving so i stopped it. how do you tighten the clutches? seems like it was just slipping alittle bit. the motors sounded normal.

#4 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:47 PM

The locks on each axis, were they tight enough?

#5 Jerr6

Jerr6

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

no they were not. i thought they had to be lose. so when you move scope to line up with index marks befor a star alignment you have to keep the lock levers tight?

#6 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

The only time they should be loose is when you are moving the axes manaully to their home positions, then tighten before doing star alignments, tracking or slewing the mount for any other reason. The only other time to leave them loose would be if you are storing the mount head in a case for transport. Hope this helps.

#7 Jerr6

Jerr6

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

haha ya that helps alot. im laughing at myself. well this could be the answer to all my problems. another funny thing is before when i would switch out my diagnal for camera setup i would always manage to bump or move the scope in the process even when i was being super careful. i would get so PO cause i would have to redo my star alignment. im guessing tight clutches will help me here too. doh!

#8 dwitek

dwitek

Mariner 2

• Loc: White Lake, Michigan

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

The clutches should be tightened when using the electronics so that only the gears and motors are moving the scope. The fix should help a lot.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics