CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RS232 to USB Adapter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

I need an RS232 to USB adapter to connect a Takahashi EM-200 to a PC. Can anyone recommend a good converter and a good company to order it from? Preferably somebody with fast service!

Thanks,

#2 Avi

Avi

Viking 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Got mine from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...&Tpk=12-186-105

Works great with XP. According to one review, not so much with Vista 64 Bit. YMMV

#3 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

I use the Keyspan (recommended by other CNers when I was looking for one). It has worked flawlessly on XP, VISTA, and Win 7 Pro 64 bit. It has its own drivers, which I understand helps the performance. This is the one I'm referring to.

#4 Wolf on Air

Wolf on Air

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Basically anything using a chip from FTDI will work fine on nearly any OS (though you will have to download their drivers for Windows and MacOS). They have a webshop, here's their selection of pre-made USB-to-DE9/RS232 cables (I'd recommend the LED-free version!) though they have many other options for the DIYer, in various voltages, including wire-ended versions that you could attach any connector on. There's plenty of other options, of course, and for basic RX/TX/GND connectivity which is all that's needed for any sort of telescope mount I've seen, most things would work, though driver quality can be very variable.

#5 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

Thank you all - I ended up purchasing a Keyspan USA-19HS adapter from Amazon.

Thanks again,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics