4 replies to this topic

#1 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mayhill, NM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

I need an RS232 to USB adapter to connect a Takahashi EM-200 to a PC. Can anyone recommend a good converter and a good company to order it from? Preferably somebody with fast service!

Thanks,

#2 Avi

Avi

Viking 1

• Loc: San Tan Valley, Arizona

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Got mine from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...&Tpk=12-186-105

Works great with XP. According to one review, not so much with Vista 64 Bit. YMMV

#3 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

I use the Keyspan (recommended by other CNers when I was looking for one). It has worked flawlessly on XP, VISTA, and Win 7 Pro 64 bit. It has its own drivers, which I understand helps the performance. This is the one I'm referring to.

#4 Wolf on Air

Wolf on Air

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Huskvarna, Sweden

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Basically anything using a chip from FTDI will work fine on nearly any OS (though you will have to download their drivers for Windows and MacOS). They have a webshop, here's their selection of pre-made USB-to-DE9/RS232 cables (I'd recommend the LED-free version!) though they have many other options for the DIYer, in various voltages, including wire-ended versions that you could attach any connector on. There's plenty of other options, of course, and for basic RX/TX/GND connectivity which is all that's needed for any sort of telescope mount I've seen, most things would work, though driver quality can be very variable.

#5 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mayhill, NM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

Thank you all - I ended up purchasing a Keyspan USA-19HS adapter from Amazon.

Thanks again,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics