CG5 questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Biff

Biff

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Courtice, Ont.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:27 AM

I have a CG5 head that I picked up used (was a good deal and didn't really do my research beforehand) and don't really know what it's capable of. I've got a scope I'm working on a 107mm f/10.6, it's in a 6" sonotube and built pretty sturdy, as in it's going to be heavier than an equivalent commercial newt. Can this head handle this? Looking at the size of the head vs. the size of the scope it looks like a slim maybe and I think it'd be pushing the limits.

Also unrelated question... Mine only has an RA motor and a hand paddle that does forward and backwards. Is there a way by purchasing a kit or DIYing something that I can mod it to add Dec control too? I could probably mod the electronics myself if I could get a stepper & gearing to bolt on nicely.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

Ryan:

The CG-5 mount should handle your OTA, the important issue is the tripod, the new CG-5 AS mounts with their 2 inch Stainless steel legs were a serious improvement, what tripod are you going to be using?

As far as adding a DEC control, to do that you need a new controller and a paddle. But I would advice against it. The slop in the drives and relatively slow top speed of the motor means that moving the scope using the hand controller is a slow process, I much prefer the slow motion control, it's quicker and more accurate.

Jon

#3 tomo

tomo

Viking 1

• Loc: Shelby Twp, Mi

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

Hi Biff,
I have a CG-5 running a C-11/ST-80 combo. As long as it is balanced really well, I think you are good to go with this.
Yes, Motors and GoTo electronics can be added, but if it were me I would just pick up a second hand mount with it already on and sell what you have.
Good luck and clear skies,
Tommy

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics