Dancing planets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

During my 2 week holiday in France I tried to observe every evening at the same time the conjunction between Venus, Saturn and Mars. It was my first sketch done over several days. Half of the observations were impossible due to the weather: clouds, rain or even thunderstorm. The 5th of July I was able only to catch Saturn and Mars (Venus stayed in the clouds).
Although the three planets were visible with the naked eye (see the beautiful sketch of Jeremy of some days ago) I used my binocular to sketch the scene. It made the positioning of the objects more easy. Another benefit was the visit of two stars: Zavijah (Beta Virginis, mag. 3.6) on the first two and Zaniah (Eta Virginis, mag. 3.9) on the last three sketches. I discovered that the FOV of my binocular was rather 5.5° than the 7° marked in the manual.
Venus was far out the brightest object (mag. -3.9) and had a yellowish color (probably due to his low position in the sky). Saturn (mag. 1.6) was white/yellow and the color of Mars (mag. 1.7) was rather orange than red. The sky background wasn’t already dark at 20.00 UT and could be qualified as blue/gray. I should one day start to work with drawing software to reproduce those details....
The sketch was done with a graphite pencil HB/n°2 on white printing paper, scanned (with some adjustments), layout was done in Paint.

Hope you like it!

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:15 AM

Jef,

Great sketch sequence of the dance. :bow: These three planets put on a nice show in the western sky this summer.
Thanks for posting.

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

Jef,

Thank you for sharing your holiday observations of the dance between Venus, Mars, and Saturn. I am sorry that your weather was not better but at least you were able to make the observations posted. It is exciting to watch the planets move over the sky over a short period of time. Other stars in the field can add to the scene as well.

I took the liberty of taking one of your observations (August 8, 2010) and reproducing your observation based upon your notes. I do not know the actual sky background but I guessed at what it may have been. I am assuming West is towards the bottom and North towards the right. I hope that you like it.

Carlos

Attached Files

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

Frank and Carlos, thanks for the kind words.

Carlos, you made a beautiful color version! I guess once you can work with drawing software (that uses different layers), it doesn't take more time to make a digital version than to clean up the scanned original. And this time the cleaning up was necessary: after two weeks the paper was getting really dirty.

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:45 AM

very nice sketches of these planets in the west.

#6 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

:thanx: Tommy

#7 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:24 AM