•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrades for Orion ST-90

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

My friend has an ST-90 that I had a chance to view through on a recent dark-site visit. I set it up along side my 10" reflector and was quite surprised by how good the views were. We mostly used it as a wide-field low-power scope.
He has a Pentax XL 21mm, which was excellent with this scope. In the works is the Baader zoom.

We plan on getting a new diagonal, but the focuser has a little sag and is not that smooth. Is there anything special I need to know about this rack & pinion focuser?

I have read about a tune-up for these scopes, which involves adjusting the lenses. Can someone advise me where to find more on this?

V-Block filter - Is Orion's good for this, or is there another?

That's about it - we're going to replace the finder with a RDF, but the optics of this scope are quite good.

#2 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• Loc: Georgia USA 34 31'57.18N 83 53'26.30W

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

I have been looking for one of these scopes for a while but they are scarce. What I would do as I have done with all of my other refractors is to install a dual speed Crayford and upgrade the diagonal to a 2" dielectric. GSO makes a focuser that will fit this scope for about $140.00 and I recently picked up a very nice 2" dielectric diagonal from Adorama for $80.00. It is sold under the brand of Pro Optic and it is the exact same one that Orion sells for $130. With these improvements the scope will really start to perform.

#3 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• Loc: Georgia USA 34 31'57.18N 83 53'26.30W

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

Oh, and as for the V-Block, I would go with the Baader Semi Apo filter. Agena has these as well as the GSO focuser I mentioned.

#4 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Wondering if anyone has upgraded Orion's ST-90 like this and whether it is worth the effort and expense?

I have been looking for one of these scopes for a while but they are scarce. What I would do as I have done with all of my other refractors is to install a dual speed Crayford and upgrade the diagonal to a 2" dielectric. GSO makes a focuser that will fit this scope for about $140.00 and I recently picked up a very nice 2" dielectric diagonal from Adorama for $80.00. It is sold under the brand of Pro Optic and it is the exact same one that Orion sells for $130. With these improvements the scope will really start to perform.

#5 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

I agree with Eric. A few well chosen accessories will go a long way.

#6 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I guess I was hoping that some people would give some advice about whether it is worth upgrading this telescope or just leave it as is. I know that a new focuser could be added, and a new finder scope added, I just don't know if the telescope itself is worth the cost of doing so.I paid $500 for the scope and EQ2 mount back in 2000 and bought the solar filter for $70.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

I guess I was hoping that some people would give some advice about whether it is worth upgrading this telescope or just leave it as is. I know that a new focuser could be added, and a new finder scope added, I just don't know if the telescope itself is worth the cost of doing so.I paid $500 for the scope and EQ2 mount back in 2000 and bought the solar filter for $70.

If you have some 2 inch eyepieces, a 2 inch focuser and diagonal would be a nice addition. The problem is the cost, you might end up sinking more than $200 in to just those two items and when ED-80s show up used for $300, it's hard to justify, at least in my mind.

What's the tube diameter of the ST-90? It's possible that an ED-80/ED-100 focuser might fit, add a used 2 inch diagonal and you might be in business for $100 or so..

Jon

#8 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks, Jon. That's the kind of evaluation I was trying to get. It also reaffirms what I thought might be the case (unfortunately).

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks, Jon. That's the kind of evaluation I was trying to get. It also reaffirms what I thought might be the case (unfortunately).

What is the tube diameter? If you can fit a standard focuser, even a rack and pinion from maybe an ST-120, it should be a real treat, particularly from dark skies.

Jon

#10 hottr6

hottr6

Soyuz

• Loc: 7,257', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

I had a ST90 around 1996, and unlike your experience, it was awful! The only 'scopes I have encountered worse CA have been Gallilean and sub f/3.5 achros. Not all ST90s are good.

#11 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

An excellent,informative thread. :waytogo:

I can see both sides as to upgrading or not. If it were me,I'd use the scope as is. A used Synta ED80 isn't much more expensive than what the upgrades to this telescope are probably going to cost in reality. The ED80 is in another league optically.

#12 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I think I'll use it as it is and maybe pick up a used refractor in the future and pass this one on to grandkids.

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

An excellent,informative thread. :waytogo:

I can see both sides as to upgrading or not. If it were me,I'd use the scope as is. A used Synta ED80 isn't much more expensive than what the upgrades to this telescope are probably going to cost in reality. The ED80 is in another league optically.

I think it depends on how creative one is, on the particulars of the scope and how lucky one is. Also, a $300 ED-80 is unlikely to include a 2 inch diagonal so that would represent a necessary investment either way. My story:

A few months ago I was able to figure out how to mate a 2 inch William Optics focuser from my parts box to an ST-80 with nothing more than a thin strip of plastic. I then advertised on Astromart of a 2 inch diagonal and ended up with a Meade dielectric for under $40.

Even though I have a very nice William Optics 80mm apo and a nice 101mm apo, I am very much enjoying this ST-80 because of it's ultra widefield capabilities, it offers a binocular like 6 degree TFoV and is quite amazing with an O-III filter.

If Photobud were able upgrade the ST-90 in a similar manner, maybe an ED-80 focuser from Astromart or something like that, I think it would be a very worthwhile investment. Ungrading with a new focuser, that would be too much... Knowing the OD of the tube would go a long way in determining whether such a simple upgrade were possible.

Jon

#14 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

My friend ended up selling the ST-90. He just wasn't using it enough. We spent some time tweaking the focuser and cleaning up the optics. Someone got a very good deal on the scope / mount package, including the Pentax low-power eyepiece.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics