The Grandeur of Clavius

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

It is not the first time I have studied Clavius and was not intending to repeat an observation when I set up the equipment, but the summer night was perfect (stabilized atmosphere, clear with haze, and dead calm) and the first trek across Clavius was too inviting to pass up. I am always amazed at the beauty and features of this crater, so I took an hour and a bit to work it.

I also tried using plain black construction paper. In high moisture conditions and during the first hour or so, the atmosphere tends to give it more "tooth". In addition, black construction paper is never really black but more like an uneven off-black, so black marks for shadow still show up.

In any case, the sketch and story are ar linked from our Inspiration Page. The story is the top left story on the page with a link to the full sketch/story.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Roland,

This is your best write up and lunar sketch to date. A valued lesson and sensational rendering of Clavius. I witnessed this view at the time of your sketch.
Beautiful !

Frank :)

#3 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Roland,
You captured the grandeur of Clavius and surrounds very well. I enjoyed it and your writting as well.

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

I like the way how you put the texte in the sketch!

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:08 AM

Roland,

An excellent and inspirational observation and story of the grand crater Clavius. A calm Summer night with this magnificent crater on your monitor should inspire anyone. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Thanks everyone. It was a fine night that I hope to repeat. Clouds have overwhelmed us again for a few days.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics