•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Few Questions About Jupiter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I did a few sketches of Jupiter a little less than a month apart, and I had a few questions about it. I don't think Stellarium is accurate enough to answer my questions so I decided to ask you guys, and I didn't now where to put this post so I thought here would be the best place.

#2 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

First off, I was wondering if the Great Red Spot was visible the night of August 18 at around 11:00. I believe I really did see the Great Red Spot, and put it in my sketch, but Stellarium didn't back it up. Can anybody tell me if I was right?

My second question is about an occultation of Jupiter and HIP 1127. I sketched it when they were close together but didn't think of doing folow-up observations. Can Anybody tell me if Jupiter did occult it?

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

First off, I was wondering if the Great Red Spot was visible the night of August 18 at around 11:00. I believe I really did see the Great Red Spot, and put it in my sketch, but Stellarium didn't back it up. Can anybody tell me if I was right?

Lunar, so you know, Sky&Telescope has a nice feature located GRS Transit . Based on your browser you can enter the date and it will tell you the times the GRS transited.

For me it happened on 8/18/10 at the following times:

00:34 am (not sure why they throw in the am but that is 12:34a.m. of course)
10:29a.m.
08:25p.m. which is 10:25p.m. on the east coast. This would have meant (if I read the site correctly and others I'm sure will correct me if I am wrong or add to this) that for 50 minutes before this and 50 minutes after this the GRS would have been visible. So, yes, around 11:00p.m. your time (east coast) the GRS should have been visible. Hope that helps.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

Brandon,

On line you can try this web site it is always pretty good and you can change the date and time and then hit Return.

Akkana Peck's site: http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter.html

Frank :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics