A Few Questions About Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

I did a few sketches of Jupiter a little less than a month apart, and I had a few questions about it. I don't think Stellarium is accurate enough to answer my questions so I decided to ask you guys, and I didn't now where to put this post so I thought here would be the best place.

#2 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

First off, I was wondering if the Great Red Spot was visible the night of August 18 at around 11:00. I believe I really did see the Great Red Spot, and put it in my sketch, but Stellarium didn't back it up. Can anybody tell me if I was right?

My second question is about an occultation of Jupiter and HIP 1127. I sketched it when they were close together but didn't think of doing folow-up observations. Can Anybody tell me if Jupiter did occult it?

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

First off, I was wondering if the Great Red Spot was visible the night of August 18 at around 11:00. I believe I really did see the Great Red Spot, and put it in my sketch, but Stellarium didn't back it up. Can anybody tell me if I was right?

Lunar, so you know, Sky&Telescope has a nice feature located GRS Transit . Based on your browser you can enter the date and it will tell you the times the GRS transited.

For me it happened on 8/18/10 at the following times:

00:34 am (not sure why they throw in the am but that is 12:34a.m. of course)
10:29a.m.
08:25p.m. which is 10:25p.m. on the east coast. This would have meant (if I read the site correctly and others I'm sure will correct me if I am wrong or add to this) that for 50 minutes before this and 50 minutes after this the GRS would have been visible. So, yes, around 11:00p.m. your time (east coast) the GRS should have been visible. Hope that helps.

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

Brandon,

On line you can try this web site it is always pretty good and you can change the date and time and then hit Return.

Akkana Peck's site: http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter.html

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics