TMB Planetary II

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 astrocy

astrocy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:21 AM

I have seen some posts about the Burgess/TMB Planetary eyepieces. Are these the same as the TMB Planetary II? Are there any known issues with the TMB Planetary II eyepieces?

#2 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR, USA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

I believe the Planetary II series improved upon the series I by baffling and flat black anodizing to reduce or eliminate the stray light seen in the series I eyepieces. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have the series I eyepieces and I don't notice the problem however.

#3 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

I have only one silver barreled Burgess/TMB Planetary, the 7 mm. I really haven't noticed it having much stray light compared to the rest of my Planetaries, which are TMB only.

#4 orveko

orveko

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake County, IL

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

That whole stray light problem was only a problem in the first batch of 6mms, which was quickly remedied. Consensus from those "in the know" is that the BO/TMB Planetary, TMB Planetary, and TMB Planetary II eyepieces are all optically and internally identical with only superficial cosmetic differences. The only meaningful difference between the Planetary II and previous iterations is that there is no 8mm.

#5 astrocy

astrocy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:52 AM

Would these make a good choice for general use (not only planetary) with a fast reflector? I am thinking about the 6mm and the 9mm.

#6 astrodon

astrodon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Portland, OR, USA

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:54 AM

Ah ok, it was just that initial run of 6mm eyepieces that had severe baffling issues.

I guess I haven't use my TMB Planetaries in my fast scopes enough to recommend them in fast scopes, perhaps others are able to relate their performance in fast scopes.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

Would these make a good choice for general use (not only planetary) with a fast reflector? I am thinking about the 6mm and the 9mm.

I think so. I have a mixed set of TMB Planetaris, everything but the 8mm. I also have a set of Naglers that I use as my front line eyepieces. From my backyard I often use the TMB Planetaries for DSO viewing and other than field of view, I feel I am not giving up too much.

Another inexpensive eyepiece I like, particularly for DSOs, is the 9mm Syntawide Field. It is sold by Orion as the Expanse and by Owl Astronomy... It is very similar to the TMB Planetary design but has about 10 degrees more AFoV.

Jon

#8 great_bear

great_bear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Walthamstow, London, UK

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

How do people feel that they compare with the Zhumell Z Series optically?
(casting aside build quality differences)

#9 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

I recall something about a bright ring inside one of the TMB Planetaries in the past that caused reflections. This was before the type II. I'm not sure if it was BO/TMB or just TMB at the time (maybe a couple of years ago, or so). TMB replaced the ring for those who needed it. Bear in mind that this is just something I read somewhere (I think here on CN). At that time, the TMB Planetaries were all black. There was news of the Type II coming out soon, but they would cost more ($99, I believe it was)and that they would have silver barrels. Shortly after that time I bought a new TMB 8mm, but it was all black. It was also on sale new for $40 (wow!). It also has a bright ring in the barrel, but I never did anything about it. As for its performance, it does very well except that there is often a ghost image on bright objects, as well as some stray light, causing a glow (also around bright objects). None of this, of course affects the central image, but it is noticeable, sometimes distracting. Furthermore, the lens cell in the bottom was loose. I tightened it with no problem, though. Nonetheless, even with these slight issues it is one of my favorite eyepieces. I use it regularly in my f5 120ST achromatic refractor. It performs especially well when I use an aperture mask. I have seen one of the best images of Jupiter ever with it (it was also a very good night), even better than in my 8" SCT (although I didn't have the SCT out that same night---too bad). Otherwise it performs well enough for me on all my richfield observations, which is why I have the 120ST in the first place. It gives me 75x with a 0.8 TFOV. I have split Epsilon Lyrae easily with it. And, actually I like the 60-degree AFOV. The only thing is I could use about 2mm more eye relief since I wear glasses while observing, but it's not too bad as it is. I can see the whole field of view with the eyecup folded down. For the price, I'd say the piece is a winner, despite the small things I've mentioned.

#10 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

I have the Orion f/4.9 Newtonian, but the (BO/)TMB Planetary Series are essentially my entire eyepiece collection, so I would trust Jon Issacs, who has tons more experience every which way than I. I don't have other EPs in the same focal lengths so that I could comment properly (and I'm guessing that the 0.965" 4 mm that came with my toy store 60 mm refractor doesn't count, as I could never really get any kind of good image with it). Again, though, I haven't really any cause to complain about them yet, and do not intend to supplement or replace any of them with other EPs at those f/l's.

I personally believe that their price, whether or not it's on sale have been a real blessing for not only beginners, but those with more time in this hobby that either can't or don't want to put in any more money. It's a SUPER price for a real EP.

#11 gks

gks

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. California

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

The original BO/TMB series (the ones that cost $99) were all (2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9mm) spec'd at 60° FOV and 16mm of ER.
See www.burgessoptical.com/EPs/EPSpecs.html

The TMB II Series, see www.tmboptical.com/itemsGrid.asp?cat_id=62, show all eyepieces at 58° FOV but with varying ERs.
ER for 2.5 and 3.2mm spec'd at 14mm.
ER for 4mm spec'd at 10mm.
ER for 5, 6, 7, and 9mm spec;d at 12mm.

I have the 9mm from that original BO/TMB series and its a respectable eyepiece. Not sure if the ER differences are real or not since I don't have a Series II to compare my original series.

#12 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

There is only one TMB/Burgess Type II I know of.

It had a ridged conical retaining ring for the field lens group, black tapered barrel, and the interior/spacer rings were bead blasted. It worked very well in regard to controlling stray light. I don't think the others had all these additions.

To my knowledge, only the 6mm Type II had all these features. There was a detailed review in the Eyepiece Forum with an in depth comparison with the original TMB Planetary 6mm along with photos showing the physical differences. Very long thread IIRC.

I guess its hard to tell as Burgess Optical did runs of eyepieces one focal length at a time for the most part. Each run had a little something different, like slightly different coatings, black or chrome barrels, etc.

Best,

#13 great_bear

great_bear

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:45 AM

Why are there SO MANY six-millimeter P2s on sale these days?

#14 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

I think they were new then and needed the bugs worked out of them.

#15 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

I just wanted to add that the ghost image that I see in my TMB 8mm goes away if i take my glasses off---but my other eyepieces don't do that. Still not a big problem, though.

Also, Astronomics said the eye relief for this eyepiece was 14mm (they say that they only state "usuable" eye relief). That's about what I see in the eyepiece, shure 'nuff.

#16 great_bear

great_bear

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

Consensus from those "in the know" is that the BO/TMB Planetary, TMB Planetary, and TMB Planetary II eyepieces are all optically and internally identical with only superficial cosmetic differences.

On the TMB forum, Bill Burgess said that inside the old series is about 30 mm of surface area that can reflect
light into the optical path. In the Planetary II it's less than 0.5 mm. Also there's 4x the scratch/dig specs of the first series, and 50% reduction in coating reflections. The Planetary II's are CNC made whilst the first Series have cast bodies.

I personally can't confirm any of this as being "fact", merely that it's what Burgess stated on the TMB Forum.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics