• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Wise

Jay Wise

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Near Williamsburg VA

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

If you have a Mallincam with a RS232 port make sure you avail yourself of Jack Huerkamp's article on computer control in the current "Astronomy Technology Today". Clearly written with many illustrations it is a quick and easy guide to using a computer to control the latest MC cameras. I bought an older Dell laptop for $95.00 to have a dedicated astronomy unit that runs on Windows XP and has a serial port! The driver and software came with the VSS camera but is available as a free download at http://tech.groups.y...roup/mallincam/ . I got the serial/RS232 cable from Jack's Astro. It worked perfectly the 1st time it was powered up and that is a record for me! It even selected the correct Com1 port.

The controls are clear and intuitive. One of the best features for me are the on screen popup helps when you go to each feature. No more quickly having to lookup the features in the instruction printout. I have not yet used my VSS in cold weather but those little buttons were going to be a bear.

In my opinion this kicks the MC up to a new level of usability.

Jay W :jump:

#2 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

The only thing missing is integration control for the vss. The vss+ has it. I have a laptop running vista with a usb to serial adapter and the cable that works great. I do need a faster computer as it bogs when running TheSky 6, NexRemote, and the mallincam control software. I want to add a video capture (dazzle) in the future so I am sure that would slow it down more.

#3 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

You can run the Mallincam Control program wirelessly by using Omega Electronics' WRS-232 system, with a minor modification of the stock unit that the factory will do for you. See my post from February that describes the system. This is especially useful if you view in the field as I have to. You can see the transmitter unit on my photo here. The transmitter is the small white box attached to the underside of the camera. The receiver is about the same size and weight (2 oz) and attaches to a USB port, from which it gets its power. The transmitter needs 9 volts. A small program sets up the com port. It really works!

#4 Jay Wise

Jay Wise

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Near Williamsburg VA

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

Gee Larry,
You got love that photo. Is this a great hobby or what?
JayW

#5 Druly

Druly

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Larry F,
I recently purchased an Omega WRS232-USB which I had modified according to the information I found on this forum, however, I have been unable to get the WRS232 Transmitter to communicate with the Wizard Software or VSS. I was wondering if the problem might be the way that the RJ12 to DB9 Adapter is wired or possible the RJ12 Cable itself? The tech support hasn't been very helpful in terms of trying to verify if the adapter/cable is the problem and have requested that I send it back to the U.S. to have it checked there. I mentioned that my adapter appears to be wired differently than the information provided in the User's Manual (4-1). If you could possibly let me know how the adapter is supposed to be wired or have any other suggestions or advice I'd really appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Drew Ferguson

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics