Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Article

#2 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

Nice write-up Tom. Wish they had more astronomy apps for android phones...google sky is fun, but not very serious.. maybe someday soon :praying:.

#3 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

Nice review Tom. I was blown away when I saw these apps on an Ipad swinging left to right. I think it's the future in fact we'll just have live video feed through them I suppose. :)

#4 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

Skyvoyager, Starmap Pro, Distance Suns, pUniverse, Starwalk, Apod, NASA are just a few of my favorite apps.

It is a great convenience to control my mount wirelessly via SkyVoyager on my iPhone. Especially very useful for Astrophotography.... centering the targets, framing etc becomes very easy with SkyVoyager.

Cheers

Sedat

#5 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Voyager by Carina Mobile is a good one. They give nice description notes on each object and i run it wireless with my EM200 Temma

#6 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

Do you know of any which can help you plan for Jupiter satellite and shadow events?

#7 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

Tom:

Excellent and timely article. Thanks a bunch for posting it.

Regards,

Jim

#8 eliomar

eliomar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, Fl, USA

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:41 AM

excellent. some apps i have not thought about (galaxy zoo). i have some recommendations:

FREE
iCSC = iClear Sky Chart
AstroCalc = telescope and eyepiece info
GoSkyWatchP (iPad) = planetarium

PAY
Starmap (iPhone,iPad) = Planetarium

#9 retina boy

retina boy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bryan, Texas

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

StarMap and StarMapHD are some of my favorites. The iPhone version was great to learn the sky but the iPad version has revolutionized my observing. The ability to create exact eyepiece views for your given set of optics in a package has allowed me to do far more finding in my mag 4 urban skies. With maps and other planetarium programs, it was always so difficult to star hop with the finder that I usually gave up in frustration. With StarMap, you are able to easily track your progress across the heavens so multiple hops are easy to execute.

Before StarMap, I really only had fun under urban skies with the deep sky if I used GOTO. StarMap made hopping so much fun that I elected to complete the last 30 objects of my Binocular Messier Observing Club from my backyard rather than go to a dark site. I am planning on using it to complete my Messier Club from home also. Truly revolutionary for me.

#10 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Decent write up Tom! I had not heard of Galaxy Zoo so I am getting that for my iPhone. I had seen exoplanet, but it looks like it has been updated since I looked at it.

Some other great apps:
NASA-- It is the NASA app
Moon Phase-- I got this before Moon Globe came out, not bad but Moon Globe is better.
Moon Atlas--Another Moon atlas!
Distant Suns-- It was the highest rated program when I downloaded it, but there are always new planetarium programs coming out.

Something I discovered recently is iTunesU. It is lectures and class materials from Universities. I have been checking out University of Arizona so far, and there are about 10 lectures I have downloaded.

#11 sshres

sshres

Apollo

• Loc: Edgewater, MD

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Has anyone else downloaded Starwalk? OMG it is an amazing app! And GPS is accurate too to boot!

#12 sirchz

sirchz

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

Do you know of any which can help you plan for Jupiter satellite and shadow events?

Mike,

Astromist provides some nice details on the Jovian moons, including shadow events. If this is important to you, it's the one I have that I would recommend. StarMap Pro and SkyVoyager/SkyGazer are nice and can show the view of Jupiter with the satellites, but I don't think they provide shadow events or the detail in terms of time and event. More info below.

Chris

In Astromist, if I click on Jupiter I can select Satellites, Red Spot or Events. From the help info for each:

Satellites: "Displays the relative positions of the Galilean satellites as seen from Earth. Jupiter is represented by the blue, vertical stripe. Move your finger along it to animate the image."

Red Spot: "Displays red spot (GRS) transit time (local time), Time in red means that GRS is visible. If not and icon indicates the reason (sun, jupiter not visible). Adjust lets you compute GRS longitude."

Events: "Calculates the Gallilean satellites' eclipses by and transits across Jupiter's disk for the given day. Slide your finger slogn the screen to change the date. Taps on the date to select a particular one." Here's an example for 11/02/2010 (CST)

Satellite Start End Event
Io 01h19 02h17 Eclipse
Io 20h17 21h16 Transit
Io 21h17 22h31 Transit+Shadow
Io 22h32 23h32 Shadow
Io 23h05 01h18 Occultation
Europa 00h41 02h41 Eclipse
Europa 21h59 00h40 Occultation

I think it sorts my Moon, then start time. Looks like the last event for each moon is really from the morning.

#13 Fimpster

Fimpster

Vanguard

• Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:25 PM

This was one of my favorite articles on CN. Looking forward to iAstronomy 2.0!

#14 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

Great article and great to see so many people interested in these applications.

My favorites on my IPOD Touch in order are...

Astromist (loved this on the Palm but so much better on IPOD Touch)
StarMap PRO - great application
SkyVoyager - good but I prefer it third to the others for various reasons
SkyGazor - this is the scaled down version of SkyVoyager - too simple for me, and anyone who needs more features and objects
StarWalk - cool but pretty basic
Distant Suns - cool but pretty basic
Planets - really easy but only about planets

And don't forget ICSC - Danko's Clear Sky Clock for the IPhone/IPod Touch

Timm

#15 EastAnglian

EastAnglian

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridgeshire Fens UK

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

Mike,

Astromist provides some nice details on the Jovian moons, including shadow events. If this is important to you, it's the one I have that I would recommend.

I just found this thread, and via you, this app. I just downloaded it to my WM6.1 Samsung Omnia and I am amazed!! Thank you so much
Max

#16 Stephen S

Stephen S

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, IN

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Great article and some great follow-up recommendations. I just discovered an app called "Astro Planner". It seems particularly geared towards planning an observing session. Simple and easy to use with all the necessary info. This is exactly what I am looking for in an app.

Does anyone know if the Astromist program offers observation session planning? The app looks very powerful but perhaps not easy to use. The developers website has info on the Palm version but nothing for the iPad. Regardless, Astromist looks tempting.

Thanks! Steve S

#17 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Messenger

• Loc: Bidwell, OH

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

When's the next installment coming? Been 3 months.... :)

#18 Moggi1964

Moggi1964

Vendor - Astro Laugh

• Vendors
  • Loc: Madison. NJ. USA

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Apps really are the future.

My 9 year old son created one (we have a friend making it into a usable app). Talk about "the kids of today"!!!!

#19 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

Here are a few more for the iPod/iPhone/iPad:

Emerald Chronometer - has about a dozen various watch faces, but most of them have astronomical uses. Graphical displays of sunrise and sunset, equation of time, lunar phases, graphical display of when the each planet is visible, world time clock, graphical display of moon and sun in comparison to South, orrery, etc.
flyBy - When satellites will be visible
Space Images - pretty self-explanatory
Stars -

#20 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

I'd like to see some serious apps for Android. I have Google Sky Map, Moon Phase Pro and Moon Maps. I'd like to see a better Moon map app.

#21 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

• Loc: 51°N (Belgium)

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

FWIW there's now a port of Stellarium available on the Apple app store. I like it a lot on my iPod touch.

#22 Daniel Laszlo

Daniel Laszlo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 4, sometimes 1

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

The app Living Earth HD makes a great companion for Moon Globe. You get a detailed Earth view with the current cloud patterns from weather sats, updates q3 hours. You can pause, spin, zoom. Save favorite cities for temp and weather.

I wish you could animate the clouds a few frames. Nevertheless, brilliant!

#23 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Star Walk is a good app. I believe it cost 1.99 in the app store. Point your phone anywhere in the sky and it shows you what star you're looking at. Plus it has the rise/set times for all the planets. Also you can select any dso,and it will guide you with arrows to the where the dso resides.And it has live satellite tracking. So, as far as I'm concerned its worth the money. :)

#24 colinsk

colinsk

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: CA

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the tips. I found some I had not heard of. I would like to recomend:

iEphermeris
Flyby
3D Sun
Iridium Flares
Distant Suns 3
ICSC

When will I be able to view Cloudy Nights in an iPhone native format?

#25 moshen

moshen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

I wrote this app :) I'm glad someone brought it up here and really happy you like it!

Moshen

The app Living Earth HD makes a great companion for Moon Globe. You get a detailed Earth view with the current cloud patterns from weather sats, updates q3 hours. You can pause, spin, zoom. Save favorite cities for temp and weather.

I wish you could animate the clouds a few frames. Nevertheless, brilliant!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics