• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John K

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

What is the best paper for sketching?I am currently using computer paper but the more I see other sketches the more I find that I cant get the smoothness needed for real looking Nebulas.So what should I get?Can I get it at a store like Staples(Canada)?

#2 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

I use heavy cartridge paper which I have found the easiest to draw nebulae, etc, on. You will be able to get it at Staples (I am assuming your Staples is the same as our Staples here in the UK) or any art shop.

#3 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

I probably use the same or similar paper you do, John, for many of my sketches. One way to reduce the apparent graininess of your sketch is to use the whole page, not just a small corner of it.

#4 John K

John K

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vernon BC Canada

Posted 11 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

would laser printer paper be better?

#5 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

I've tried laser printer paper and don't like the results. I use heavy printing paper as well. It's just better to go with a heavier paper in my opinion.

#6 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Finlandia

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

I think our FDSS's sketching form is made out of cardboard. Good moisture resistance, easy to draw on. Can't do it any other way!

/Jake

#7 hbanich

hbanich

Apollo

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

I use a Canson Basic Sketch Book that has acid free 8 inch x 5 inch pages. I've found that an HB pencil typically gives the best results with this paper.

Howard
Portland, Oregon

#8 vennard

vennard

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

I'm a bit late to the conversation, but, if your near a Staples, then might you be near an Art Supply store? A walk through this store should confuse you no end, but will provide a broad spectrum of papers to consider. The sketch book section will have most everthing you might need in various sizes, surfaces, and paper weight, conviently bound (and you can remove sheets when necessary). Something else to think about might be illustration board. In hot and cold press surfaces, one smooth other rough (I use this stuff with pen and ink stippling)[You can get this at Staples too, check prices]. In plain papers you can find "coated" paper stock, which have a clay coating for smoothness [Staples in the bulk section]. Finally (and pardon me if I am stating the obvious as I havent been here in quite some time and not seen anything you have posted) if your looking for a smoothness of tone(s) in your drawing have you tried the blending stumps? - MikeV

#9 Ecce Luna

Ecce Luna

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: 40.3 N. Lat.; 79 W. Long.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Near me we have a store called "Michael's" which bills itself as a craft store. Among the stuff they have that's utterly frivolous they have black construction paper and white pencils for the outrageous sum of about $3 a piece. I've used these with some success.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics